Mudguards for a Specialized Dolce

Hi all,
I’ve just bought a cheap used Specialized Dolce for my daughter who has just moved and now has a half hour commute in London. I’m putting on some wider tyres and now want to fit some fairly decent mudguards. It’s in v decent condition, but will be an ideal London commute bike.

In the past I have fitted Raceblades and similar to my bikes. They’ve generally worked well, although were v fiddly to fit! Are there alternatives here which are easier to set up?

Just looked at the SKS S-Board and S-Blades as an option and wondering if anyone has used these?
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-s-board-s-blade-qr-mudguard-set

Ideally, I’d like to fit a metal pair of mudguards and this is where I wondered if the Forum might have some suggestions too? Something with good coverage and easy to fit?

Many thanks in advance. Molteni

Comments

• cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I used RaceBlades but have recently switched to RaceBlades XL. They are much more adjustable, have better clearance (enough for 28 tyres) and, once setup are easy to removed and refit (maybe too easy to remove if not in a secure place)

Mind you, they aren’t cheap
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    These are great for bikes without eyelets and clearance https://www.bicyclequickguard.co.uk/

Really easy to fit, quiet, strong, stable, but expensive. They don't touch the frame at all so no marring of paint.

However, it looks like the Dolce has eyelets for proper fixed guards so I would be looking at these instead. These usually require patience and a hacksaw to fit, but worth it IMO.

I think metal hammered guards from the likes of Velo Orange or Honjo would look good, but it's hard to find stock. Something like this perhaps although you'll need to check the width of guard suitable for that frame. https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-hammered-fenders-polished-silver

These are cheaper metal guards
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Kinesis/Fend-Off-Full-Metal-Mudguards/H1UW

Lots of chromo plastic options from the like of SKS or Flinger too.

• molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Thank you Bobobones and Cq20!
    This is why I love this Forum as always some v helpful advice - your time in responding is much appreciated!
    I’ll take a proper look later as now have a run of Teams meetings, but a quick look shows some good prospects.
    Best wishes,
    Molteni
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Can vouch for the Kinesis Fend-Off's used for a couple of winters now without issue. Relatively easy to fit, no rattling and excellent coverage.
  • bobones
    It's a shame they stopped making these. I bought 3 sets of different bikes and they were only £18 a set! Add some SKS mudflaps and they're the perfect mudguard IMO.

http://www.radialcycles.co.uk/radial-avert-pro-mudguards-1.html
  • molteni_man
    Hi all,
    Thanks again for your recommendations.
    I’ve ordered a pair of Kinesis Fend Offs from Sigma and looking forward to fitting them. I’ll update when they arrive next week and I get them fitted probably the following weekend.
    They look good and not a bad price for a metal pair.
    BW
    Molteni
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Good choice! One point is that they don't come with bolts for the eyelets, my frame also never came with any so I had to get some separately. I got the bolts through Amazon.
  • molteni_man
    Thanks i.bhambra. I will take a look in my big pot if not will head onto Amazon!
  • bobones
    edited March 2021
    Nice one. A couple of tips: use double sided mounting tape (like No More Nails on a Roll or cheaper stuff) under the rear bridge and where you crimp it to prevent it sliding around or rattling. It also prevents the bridge digging into the guard itself. You might need some inside the front fork to prevent noise or paint scratching there too.

Cutting the stays is easy with a Dremel or bolt croppers and a but more fiddly with a hack saw.

Temporarily mount the guards at the brakes, and the stays at the eyelets, and mark where you need to position the rear bridge and where to cut the stays with a sharpie or tippex/nail polish. You only need to mark one side and cut the other side to match.

Cleat bolts have nice flat heads and are good for mounting the guard at the seat stays where there is a chance of rubbing the tyre if the bolt head is too tall.Use stainless steel or galvanised bolts for the eyelets.

Take your time and give yourself a couple of hours to do this.
  • molteni_man
    bobones said:

Nice one. A couple of tips: use double sided mounting tape (like No More Nails on a Roll or cheaper stuff) under the rear bridge and where you crimp it to prevent it sliding around or rattling. It also prevents the bridge digging into the guard itself. You might need some inside the front fork to prevent noise or paint scratching there too.

Cutting the stays is easy with a Dremel or bolt croppers and a but more fiddly with a hack saw.

Temporarily mount the guards at the brakes, and the stays at the eyelets, and mark where you need to position the rear bridge and where to cut the stays with a sharpie or tippex/nail polish. You only need to mark one side and cut the other side to match.

Cleat bolts have nice flat heads and are good for mounting the guard at the seat stays where there is a chance of rubbing the tyre if the bolt head is too tall.Use stainless steel or galvanised bolts for the eyelets.

Take your time and give yourself a couple of hours to do this.

Fab - thank you. That’s v helpful and has given me a good picture of how to make a start and carry out - Top Tips all round - appreciated!
  • molteni_man
    Hi again all.
    The Kinesis are lovely mudguards, but alas were not suitable for the Dolce. However, they have been fitted to a friend’s gravel bike and are great. The tips for fitting were great. I’d certainly buy another set for a bike with mudguard eyelet.
    In the end got a pair of SKS Raceblade Pro XL and these are now fitted to the Dolce. Although they don’t give full coverage, they fit v well and are an absolute dream to fit. ( There is no eyelet needed) I’m now using a Focus Cayo as my winter bike and I am definitely going to get a set to fit to this bike. The good thing with the Blades is once adjusted they slip on and off v quickly! They look great on the Dolce and No 1 daughter is dead pleased with the bike and the guards.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-raceblade-pro-xl

Thanks again for the tips and advice.
    BW
    Molteni
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Would suggest if you're using them a lot and you care about the paintwork, to take them off fairly regularly and give the contact points a clean, as they will eventually wear away the paint (I have used them for a good 8 years solid, still going strong, the paintwork less so)
  • molteni_man

Would suggest if you're using them a lot and you care about the paintwork, to take them off fairly regularly and give the contact points a clean, as they will eventually wear away the paint (I have used them for a good 8 years solid, still going strong, the paintwork less so)

Thank you Rick. That is a very good point and suggestion.
    I’m usually pretty good at putting something under contact points ( light fittings, front mounts etc) but hadn’t thought about it for the guards.
    Good shout! 👍
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Yeah the guards come with rubber etc but after a big rain drop grit still gets inbetween and the general rubbing still wears away at it.
  • molteni_man

Yeah the guards come with rubber etc but after a big rain drop grit still gets inbetween and the general rubbing still wears away at it.

Yes. It’s a good shout. I’m impressed with how easily the mudguards go on and come off, so it’s a nice easy job to do. Thanks again. It’s a shame to let a frame get marked when there is a proactive solution like this 👍