Choosing a multi tool. What are you using.

Looking for multi tool recommendations. Looking for the best do it all model. What are you all using?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The Topeak Hexus X Multitool is one of the best. An essential item of kit to carry.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexus-x-multi-tool

It even has a chain breaker. That little wire attached to the side of the chain breaker is a chain hook; very useful when fitting the chain and other stuff where the chain is unfastened. The one I have is an earlier model and I've had it for many years.

I also have another tool that I use much less frequently, but when I need it, nothing else will do! The Gerber Suspension Multiplier. A superb quality item, very strong.

https://www.tooled-up.com/gerber-suspension-multi-tool-pliers/prod/322143/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I've got a Topeak similar to the one above, absolutely brilliant
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There is no right answer as everyone will recommend the one they have.
    Have a look at what is available and what tools/attachments you think you'll need/use, decide a budget, add a few quid and buy that one. :)

If it helps I have a Crank Brothers M19, a Topeak Ratchet Rocket DX Lite and always carry a Leatherman Skeletool.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use a multitool whilst on a ride in the last 10 years, but when I did have to use one I'm glad I had it with me.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    JBA makes a good point, he usually does. I've used a couple of others before I got that Topeak one, can't remember what they were. One stopped being used as it was too flimsy the other was lost. The chain tool has been used in conjunction with a spare split link a couple of times but only ever to get other people going, never neede it myself. Or not yet at least. Reassuring to have it just in case.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I had a crank brothers one, but it rusted badly in the saddle bag. I now have a Topeak and that's been fine. I always get ones with a chain tool. On group rides I used it often, mainly fixing / adjusting other people's bikes as the unofficial mechanic. Helped a couple randoms too by the side of the road who have wanted to break their chain
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have the top peak one I stopped and lent to someone on Sunday who had ripped their rear mech off. As I had never used the chain splitter I couldn’t work out how you were supposed to have an Allen key to work it. I have now found it’s on one of the tyre levers on the side of the tool. We used his Allen key at the time.
    I guess looking at how every thing works before you have to use it anger is not a bad idea. :)
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Crankbrothers M19 for me but as previously pointed out it likes to rust especially in a saddlebag.
    Chain tool is a must.
  • danx
    danx Posts: 27
    webboo said:

I have the top peak one I stopped and lent to someone on Sunday who had ripped their rear mech off. As I had never used the chain splitter I couldn’t work out how you were supposed to have an Allen key to work it. I have now found it’s on one of the tyre levers on the side of the tool. We used his Allen key at the time.
    I guess looking at how every thing works before you have to use it anger is not a bad idea. :)

Carry an allen key for the chain splitter anyway - the tyre lever/handle on mine snapped when I tried to break a chain. Otherwise it's been a great tool
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    danx said:

webboo said:

Carry an allen key for the chain splitter anyway - the tyre lever/handle on mine snapped when I tried to break a chain. Otherwise it's been a great tool
    For me, that would invalidate the "otherwise it's been a great tool" bit.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    My Topeak Hexus has been the only chain tool I have ever had and I've had it for over 15 years (TBH I'm not sure but it's a long time!)

I have lost count of the number of chains I have split and re-joined, mine and others. I moved to magic links quite a while ago, but I still have to adjust the length of new chains and so forth, and I still help out trailside riders from time to time. It does every speed of chain and has shown no sign of breaking.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    mully79 said:

Crankbrothers M19 for me but as previously pointed out it likes to rust especially in a saddlebag.

Don't leave it in your wet/damp saddle bag.
    I always empty any bag or pack after riding in the wet and let it and anything that was in it dry out before repacking it.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • donslow
    donslow Posts: 69
    Another Crank brothers M19 user here

Has gotten me out of trouble a handful of times, picked it up on eBay cheaply

I’ve not experienced the rusting as others have said but I kept (still do in fact) mine in a plastic sandwich bag in my saddle bag, have sinced moved to a hip pack but still keep it in a plastic bag, touch wood, hasn’t rusted on me yet
  • https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-tools/bikehut-21-function-multi-tool-701775.html

This is really good. As has been said above, keep it dry, put some WD40 on it in bad weather, job jobbed.