Tuesday - time to pay up gladly for all those hamburgers

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    pinno said:

step83 said:

...I'm sure I employed someone to do this surely.

Now you are manglement, delegate?

Been maglement for ages, problem being Covid an the new "business diversification" aka lets make our own engines, oh an lets have an technology academy AND project groups of moving into other areas, my minion base has been significantly depleted.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Also dealing with the local stealership who are trying to find ways of wheeling out of doing stuff under warranty/outside of service plan. Sneaky gits.

There were reasons why the Ruskie set his AMG alight.
    So when are you trashing your Merc?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,022
    Just spent an hour splitting fresh logs, Willow is a dream to cut when it's wet.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Also dealing with the local stealership who are trying to find ways of wheeling out of doing stuff under warranty/outside of service plan. Sneaky gits.

My Merc was built pre '98 Chrysler acquisition. In other words, built properly. Also, they franchised all the dealer outlets between '02 and '03 and in the process, prices for spares soared, prices of servicing and labour soared. They also got rid of time served mechanics and basically employ plug in diagnostics boys and fitters. There's little repair going on.

You'll get fed up with it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited March 2021
    I did my "good deed" for the day.

Yesterday evening while giving the doggo a final walk, I found a load of cash in one of those clear plastic coin bags, just lying there on the pavement.

I picked it up and hung around for about 10 mins, but there was no one around, and Jeremy Beadle's ghost didn't jump out on me , so I went home. Opened it up, and there was exactly a thousand quid in a mix of 20's & 10's. No other indication of who it belonged to.

I had to go to the office this morning, but walked past where I found it, to see if anyone had stuck up a notice or anything, but no. On my way back I handed it in to the police station - my conscience couldn't handle the thought that some poor bugger had taken out their life savings to buy something nice, or it was someone's wages. I wasn't going to stick up a notice saying "large sum of cash found here, call xxxxxx if it's yours" - I'd spend the next 3 weeks answering calls from all sorts of weirdos and chancers. The police actually said that was the right thing to do i.e. don't put up a notice.

Upshot of it though, is that even if the person who lost the money goes to the police station, they have to be able to prove that it's their cash - I suppose a withdrawal slip from the bank, a payslip, and also be able to say where and at what time they lost it, the mix of notes etc.

They have 4 weeks to do that, then it's mine. The desk sergeant was quite "callous" about it, gave me a receipt, and told me not to feel guilty if it ends up being mine.

So I don't suppose it was even a good deed, unless someone kept their withdrawal slip, and can say when and where they lost it...

Let's see what happens in the next 4 weeks.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Some dealer's minion gonna be hurting now, a lot 😉

Some rather fine wine futures with your name on them?

But full marks for 'community spirit'.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

My Merc was built pre '98 Chrysler acquisition. In other words, built properly. Also, they franchised all the dealer outlets between '02 and '03 and in the process, prices for spares soared, prices of servicing and labour soared. They also got rid of time served mechanics and basically employ plug in diagnostics boys and fitters. There's little repair going on.

You'll get fed up with it.
    Pre '98 - did you use carbon dating? :p

I think the more important distinction to be made was put quite bluntly by a mate of mine, who said "If it hasn't got a K***t's name on the engine, it's not worth having" :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Well done H³, you can't realistically do any more than that.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Yesterday evening while giving the doggo a final walk, I found a load of cash in one of those clear plastic coin bags, just lying there on the pavement.

I picked it up and hung around for about 10 mins, but there was no one around, and Jeremy Beadle's ghost didn't jump out on me , so I went home. Opened it up, and there was exactly a thousand quid in a mix of 20's & 10's. No other indication of who it belonged to.

I had to go to the office this morning, but walked past where I found it, to see if anyone had stuck up a notice or anything, but no. On my way back I handed it in to the police station - my conscience couldn't handle the thought that some poor censored had taken out their life savings to buy something nice, or it was someone's wages. I wasn't going to stick up a notice saying "large sum of cash found here, call xxxxxx if it's yours" - I'd spend the next 3 weeks answering calls from all sorts of weirdos and chancers. The police actually said that was the right thing to do i.e. don't put up a notice.

Upshot of it though, is that even if the person who lost the money goes to the police station, they have to be able to prove that it's their cash - I suppose a withdrawal slip from the bank, a payslip, and also be able to say where and at what time they lost it, the mix of notes etc.

They have 4 weeks to do that, then it's mine. The desk sergeant was quite "callous" about it, gave me a receipt, and told me not to feel guilty if it ends up being mine.

So I don't suppose it was even a good deed, unless someone kept their withdrawal slip, and can say when and where they lost it...

If you put a notice up the local dealers might be in touch...
  • hopkinb
    orraloon said:

Some dealer's minion gonna be hurting now, a lot 😉

That was the unspoken subtext I got from the police. Also first thing my brother said.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I found about 300 euros in a park in Hannover during WC 2006. There were 2 policemen 20 meters away and I tried to give it to them, but they wanted nothing to do with it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    You'd think they'd plant it in one of those black dog poo bags if they didn't want anyone to touch it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb said:

I had to go to the office this morning, but walked past where I found it, to see if anyone had stuck up a notice or anything, but no. On my way back I handed it in to the police station - my conscience couldn't handle the thought that some poor censored had taken out their life savings to buy something nice, or it was someone's wages. I wasn't going to stick up a notice saying "large sum of cash found here, call xxxxxx if it's yours" - I'd spend the next 3 weeks answering calls from all sorts of weirdos and chancers. The police actually said that was the right thing to do i.e. don't put up a notice.

Well done Hoppy for your honesty. I'd imagine a fair few would have viewed it as finder keepers... and become a thief.
    But because I have my pedant head on at the mo, the cash will never actually legally be yours, although you will in all probability be handed the wedge. The original owner never loses their claim to it.
  • elbowloh
    thistle_ said:

You'd think they'd plant it in one of those black dog poo bags if they didn't want anyone to touch it.

You could be into something here. All those poo bags hanging off trees in parks could be dead drops for spies or organised crime.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If you see anybody checking through the dogshit bags in the park tomorrow, chances are it will be a bracketeer.
    Possibly using tree surgery as a cover.
  • hopkinb

hopkinb said:

Well done Hoppy for your honesty. I'd imagine a fair few would have viewed it as finder keepers... and become a thief.
    But because I have my pedant head on at the mo, the cash will never actually legally be yours, although you will in all probability be handed the wedge. The original owner never loses their claim to it.
    Says that on the met police receipt. If the genuine owner comes forward even after they pass it to me, and they can prove ownership it's theirs.

I don't need or want the money, I'm fortunate enough to be in that position. If it passes to me, it'll be going to a charity that feeds hungry people in tooting.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Says that on the met police receipt. If the genuine owner comes forward even after they pass it to me, and they can prove ownership it's theirs.

I don't need or want the money, I'm fortunate enough to be in that position. If it passes to me, it'll be going to a charity that feeds hungry people in tooting.
    Good idea.
    Imagine a dealer trying to claim the money back from starving kids (and adults).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    hopkinb said:

If it passes to me, it'll be going to a charity that feeds hungry people in tooting.

Funny that, I gave 4 mobile phones to a kids charity in Tooting recently.
    Lockdown has been good for clearing out stuff.
    I have sold:
    1 pair French leather pointy shoes
    5.4kg's of Duplo
    3.5 kg's surplus Lego
    1 PS2
    1 Aldi cycling waterproof (actually quite good quality but I went and got L thinking I could squeeze layers under it but it was like a parachute)
    1 Bike frame
    2 saddles

...and I have a pile of stuff for the charity shop when they open.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,412
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Is there no end to your wonderfulness?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    In my case its a chef pal. He's worked in, and run a number of very good i.e. starred restaurants. He devotes all his spare time and energy to this now.

https://www.tootingcommunitykitchen.co.uk/

• elbowloh
    I imagine the Gurdwara on the high street feeds quite a few homeless people in Tooting?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

...and I have a pile of stuff for the charity shop when they open.

Ours went to the tip the other day, it was piled high as the shops here didn't reopen between lockdowns and the ones near work said they had too much stuff so didn't want any more.

• hopkinb
    edited March 2021
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Will probably delete this shortly.

I did. I'm not wonderful. Very far from it.

Ah b0llocks. I keep writing political shyte and deleting it.

I can't even say slaínte and fcuk off, because I'm on the jasmine tea.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

I imagine the Gurdwara on the high street feeds quite a few homeless people in Tooting?

Yep they do. My brother's wife is a Sikh, they live in Coventry, they provide a lot of free meals via the gurdwara. Brother is a chef, donates his time even as a non Sikh.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Nice work hobkinb

You may have been the knob you describe in the past, but you come across really well.

Obviously still prefer cargobike, but only because he has a Tesla
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2021
    Fair play to you H3.

Although I should advise you to gift aid your donation and claim it on your tax return :smile:
  • hopkinb
    Night buggers.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Don’t think I’m going to do my long run in a few weeks as still feel shoot 🤬

So entered this, looks horrific but fun

• hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

Seano, I've been a massive censored to too many people at too many times in my life.

Alcohol and substance abuse. A total of 60 days inpatient treatment, scores of hours of outpatient treatment.

I'm largely free of that, but still can be dogmatic, inflexible, condescending and unpleasant. I'm far from wonderful.

Any little bit I can pay back... Age and time are a great leveller and have given me empathy.

Sorry for perhaps oversharing, just trying to explain my motives. I'm not holier than thou, or anyone else, just aware of my relative privilege and also my shortcomings. That's my path, it doesn't have to be anyone else's.

No offence intended, just to try and shine a light.

Mainly I love my family and friends, food, riding a bike, watching the seasons unfold and trying hard not to be too much of a d1ck.

Will probably delete this shortly.
    Fair play to you H3.

Although I should advise you to gift aid your donation and claim it on your tax return :smile:
    If you could delete the quote about the treatment I'd be grateful stevo. Its 15 years ago now, but stigma I still strong around mental health.
  • hopkinb
    tlw1 said:

Nice work hobkinb

You may have been the knob you describe in the past, but you come across really well.

Obviously still prefer cargobike, but only because he has a Tesla

We all love CB. If only he'd come back...