Stumpjumper 2009 Forks

Hi everyone,

I've been given a 2009 Stumpjumper s-works from my father in law who's not able to use it anymore due to ill health. In fact it's been sat in his garage for around 6-7 years and it wasn't used much prior to that so it's in really good condition.

This is the first that I've had a proper mtb and, although I'm confident on road bikes (hydraulic discs and all), suspensions are something completely new to me!

The forks are the Specialized Brain versions and seem a little stiff in movement so thought it best to get them serviced, which is proving difficult on an old set of forks!

I've tried TF Tuning and Plush, both said they were too old. What options do I have? Does anyone service these forks anymore or is it a case of buying a new set and replacing?

Thanks,

Richie.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Do a lower leg service first and see if that improves the fork action. There are plenty of guides on YouTube showing how to do this.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • That did cross my mind, but doesn't look like parts are available if I damage anything. Plus there doesn't seem to be a guide for the Brain specifically, so would be assuming it's the same as a Rockshox or Fox.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Brain fork was a modified Fox fork I believe but with different internals.
    Unless you can get Specialized to service the fork then you may have to dump it and buy something suitable to replace it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • richie_thorpe
    richie_thorpe Posts: 3
    edited March 2021
    So with a bit more googling and investigation it seems that I have the S120 fork and managed to find its service manual online. Looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty.

https://www.evaldsmtb.se/pub_docs/files/Service-Manualer/Service_S90_S120_E100.pdf

Richie.