GRX FD adapter

matt.santos02DmnwU-jY
edited March 2021 in Road buying advice
Hi, i just bought a grx groupset, exepct the FD, cause Im not sure I can use it, I have a gravel frame with no frame mount, it has a 31.6 seat tube diameter, there is no mention for a compatible adaptor for the GRX FD on the shimano site would the adapters for the road FDs work? if so which one? or am I better of getting another FD? thanks

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I don’t think a road FD works with a GRX chain set, or a GRX FD works with a road chain set.

My canyon Grail came with a GRX group set / chain set, but I swapped the GRX chain set for my road Rotor 3D compact Power2MaxPM - i could not get the GRX FD to work properly - it would rub on the chain set arm - so i swapped to a Ultegra FD and problem solved.

The Canyon came with a bolt on FD tho - not a band on one
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Sm-ad91 is what you need
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited March 2021
    OP What crankset do you have 46/30T or 48/31T? As MM above eludes to, if you look at the Shimano line up chart for GRX it lists the SM-AD91 Band Adaptor for FD-RX810-F 11sp 48/31T 46/30T and FD-RX400-F 10sp 46/30T
  • dj58 said:

OP What crankset do you have 46/30T or 48/31T? As MM above eludes to, if you look at the Shimano line up chart for GRX it lists the SM-AD91 Band Adaptor for FD-RX810-F 11sp 48/31T 46/30T and FD-RX400-F 10sp 46/30T

I have the 46-31t crankset
  • dj58 said:

• dj58 said:

• Mad_Malx said:

Sm-ad91 is what you need

thanks man!
  • moonshine
    Quick thought...
    If your gravel frame has no FD mount, does it have the facility to route the FD cable under the BB to actuate the FD? In a 2x configuration (Or is it a 1x specific frame that was never intended to run a FD) ?
  • moonshine said:

Quick thought...
    If your gravel frame has no FD mount, does it have the facility to route the FD cable under the BB to actuate the FD? In a 2x configuration (Or is it a 1x specific frame that was never intended to run a FD) ?

It does I've builds on youtube with 2x setups, my frame is a mosso 730 gvl btw
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    In case anyone is tempted to try... I attempted to skimp on a gravel build, by using a 5800 front mech I had lying around. I'm always sceptical about compatibility charts, especially for front mechs - they aaaaaalways work fine.

The 5800 got nowhere near being able to shift to the outer chainring :#
    Shimano really mean it this time, when they say grx rings aren't compatible with road front mech.
  • moonshine
    ^ and I encountered rubbing issues between the GRX FD outer cage and the inside of the Rotor 3D chainset arm when when the FD was setup in the outer Chainring in a 2x11 seyup with a GRX FD with a road chainset.
    Rubbing issue was solved by replacing the GRX FD with an Ultegra FD
  • jpj84 said:

In case anyone is tempted to try... I attempted to skimp on a gravel build, by using a 5800 front mech I had lying around. I'm always sceptical about compatibility charts, especially for front mechs - they aaaaaalways work fine.

The 5800 got nowhere near being able to shift to the outer chainring :#
    Shimano really mean it this time, when they say grx rings aren't compatible with road front mech.

damn, grx 810 fds are so hard to find here, you think I can use grx 400 fd on a 2x11 and with the 810 crank?
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    My finger in the air guess is that it would work - I've a mixture of 10 & 11 speed grx in my build. Come to think of it, I think I've got an 11 speed fd with a 10 speed chain - wanna swap? 😀
  • jpj84 said:

My finger in the air guess is that it would work - I've a mixture of 10 & 11 speed grx in my build. Come to think of it, I think I've got an 11 speed fd with a 10 speed chain - wanna swap? 😀

wow I appreciate it but Idont think it'll work out as im from the philippines,

doing a bit more digging, grx 400 fd has a capacity of 16t, and grx 810 fd has 17t, and 31-48 crank has 17t difference, to bad they're basically the same specs wise
  • I just found this vid on youtube
    ultegra fd with grx 810 crankset

https://youtu.be/_rQQjCEkbPU