wednesday as i pour more petrol on, i feel no fear

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno - thought you would want the masters to take off all of that carbon stuff

I have carbon stuff on my carbon C40.
    Even carbon pedals. So there.
    haydenm said:

...I won't be taking any of the free stuff on account of me being a midget, unless he has a nice car?

Underpants + clothes pegs.

[The nice car got ditched by wifey. The Turkey was last seen looking happy whilst going through the Panama canal.]

Nice car is back
    I thought it was a BMW?
    😂🖕🏼
  • It’s very windy out (30-45mph ssw) my local weather station is saying, so I’ve decided to give it a bash (fool!) such a nice looking day when compared with the ice and snow so recently melted away. I’m just itching for nice warm ride, what can possibly go wrong? image

@johngti I feel yours and Mrs gti’s pain – an assistant is just that, the clues in the name! Plus it drives me mad seeing some of these M.I.S. put onto spreadsheets when they clearly belong in databases [eg MS Excel / MS Access) = use the correct tool for the job. I know what I’d be saying to them in her situation, best of luck!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Also trying to manage Mrs GTi's response to a properly cr@ppy day at work where I think she has a good case for a workplace bullying complaint...

Give us the name of this bully and detectives Stevo, Bally and I will have some fun.

It's one of the deputy heads at the school she works at (not mine!). She works as a data and admissions assistant and an example of one of the things that she's been asked to take on is to analyse the MIS data that gets put in. So spreadsheet work basically, complicated by the way he changes what he wants in the analysis every time he asks for it. You can imagine that in a big school, where every student is taking 10 or 11 subjects, that's a pretty big spreadsheet.

So she does her best with it, sends it on to him for checking and then hears nothing because he's too lazy to look at it properly.

Then it becomes important so he presents the data at a meeting or uses it in some other way, only then discovers a mistake by which time its all her fault for getting it wrong.

She's paid peanuts, lower than the income tax allowance, so is literally an assistant who isn't paid enough to take responsibility for anything other than turning up in the mornings and working her hours. He's on £65k+ and clearly has no idea on how to manage anyone since his technique seems to be to make her feel as small and stupid as possible. Which she now does and was ready to walk out.
    My Missus doesn’t stand up for herself at work which is weird because she’s brilliant at this at home and I’m an angel 😇 So instead I get this...

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

@johngti I feel yours and Mrs gti’s pain – an assistant is just that, the clues in the name! Plus it drives me mad seeing some of these M.I.S. put onto spreadsheets when they clearly belong in databases [eg MS Excel / MS Access) = use the correct tool for the job. I know what I’d be saying to them in her situation, best of luck!

I believe she stood up for herself (apparently at one point he said “do you mind if I talk now”) but she shouldn’t have to. It’s been dragging on for months. Bearing in mind that her immediate boss had 3 months off a couple of years ago so she stepped up and did the whole job, she’s (a) never once been praised for that or anything else and (b) did the job perfectly well and now can’t understand why she’s being treated like an idiot.

They’ve got form in this place. I used to work there when it was a nice place to be. When I left, at least 4 of my ex-colleagues were forced out by this deputy and his buddy treating them appallingly. The head of music was one of them; awesome bloke, poured his heart and soul into the place in terms of organising orchestras and performances, ably helped by his music teacher wife. Couple of kids said that he’d been rude to them and the deputies went for him big style.

Anyway, sorry, spoiling the aims of the bottom bracket here.
  • seanoconn
    Me, before

After johngti

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited February 2021
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno - thought you would want the masters to take off all of that carbon stuff

I have carbon stuff on my carbon C40.
    Even carbon pedals. So there.
    haydenm said:

...I won't be taking any of the free stuff on account of me being a midget, unless he has a nice car?

Underpants + clothes pegs.

[The nice car got ditched by wifey. The Turkey was last seen looking happy whilst going through the Panama canal.]

Nice car is back
    I thought it was a BMW?
    😂🖕🏼
    Im currently driving a BMW which I quite like but it's not necessarily fast enough to be worth the price/chavvy trim level. Oh and the wife smashed it into a pothole last week and it needed two new tyres, would have never happened in the Amarok...!

On the landrover front, I was driving the defender to the garage the other week to have it's chassis replaced and the dash died. Luckily there is no chance of going over the speed limit on the motorway but I can't say I was very happy about it...
  • johngti
    seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
  • seanoconn
    johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    You should be, I’m a yellow bear for instance, can you imagine the kind of bigotry I face daily!? No, but you don’t hear me crying about it.
  • johngti
    seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    You should be, I’m a yellow bear for instance, can you imagine the kind of bigotry I face daily!? No, but you don’t hear me crying about it.
    Is that because you just sob, quietly, into your pillow at night?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Go stick your head in your 'honey pot' and cheer yourself up Seano.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Well, hoping this wind dies down in the next few days, really have an itch to get the best bike out seeing as it's dry. Fancy some whoosy carbon noises.

John, to me (as a manager) that does seem to be crossing the line on workplace bullying. I'm not sure on the HR structure in schools but would certainly be looking into speaking to someone regarding it, either another manager or head of department or the HR division.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    You're not Indiana Jones then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    That Henry Jones, Indiana was the dogs name ;)
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    Can you be on my pub quiz team when we're allowed out Step?
  • tlw1
    Drama on lunchtime walk when police and general panic when a 4yr old had gone missing during a family walk. Thankfully found safe and well
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞

Probably more Romany Jones
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Also trying to manage Mrs GTi's response to a properly cr@ppy day at work where I think she has a good case for a workplace bullying complaint...

Give us the name of this bully and detectives Stevo, Bally and I will have some fun.

It's one of the deputy heads at the school she works at (not mine!). She works as a data and admissions assistant and an example of one of the things that she's been asked to take on is to analyse the MIS data that gets put in. So spreadsheet work basically, complicated by the way he changes what he wants in the analysis every time he asks for it. You can imagine that in a big school, where every student is taking 10 or 11 subjects, that's a pretty big spreadsheet.

So she does her best with it, sends it on to him for checking and then hears nothing because he's too lazy to look at it properly.

Then it becomes important so he presents the data at a meeting or uses it in some other way, only then discovers a mistake by which time its all her fault for getting it wrong.

She's paid peanuts, lower than the income tax allowance, so is literally an assistant who isn't paid enough to take responsibility for anything other than turning up in the mornings and working her hours. He's on £65k+ and clearly has no idea on how to manage anyone since his technique seems to be to make her feel as small and stupid as possible. Which she now does and was ready to walk out.
    My Missus doesn’t stand up for herself at work which is weird because she’s brilliant at this at home and I’m an angel 😇 So instead I get this...

My missus is reluctant to have a go at anybody else, so usually has a go at me over some perceived omission instead.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞

Probably more Romany Jones
    No recollection of that at all. Let me guess: an ITV sitcom series making fun of pikeys?
  • ballysmate
    Not travellers, no.
    Layabouts IIRC and then in later series, a posh couple forced to live in a caravan.
  • johngti
    step83 said:

Well, hoping this wind dies down in the next few days, really have an itch to get the best bike out seeing as it's dry. Fancy some whoosy carbon noises.

John, to me (as a manager) that does seem to be crossing the line on workplace bullying. I'm not sure on the HR structure in schools but would certainly be looking into speaking to someone regarding it, either another manager or head of department or the HR division.

I agree. I happened to have an EdD supervision this afternoon and mentioned it to my supervisor (an expert in anxiety/resilience). She’s given me the contact details of someone who does stress assessments and suggested that the school is playing a dangerous game. The fact that Mrs GTi has just returned to work after time off for stress and has immediately been caused more stress on her return makes their actions well dodgy. So to speak.

And thanks for the support - I won’t tell her because she’d hate the thought of people knowing but that’s the aim of the workplace bully isn’t it.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

My missus is reluctant to have a go at anybody else, so usually has a go at me over some perceived omission instead.
    I thought I deleted that 🤔 The gif didn’t work which was the whole point of the post. Me was another dog out of picture, when the hoover (her problem) hits my wife, she barks at me.
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    21st June yeah?
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

johngti said:

seanoconn said:

Me, before

After johngti

Damn. Sorry 😞
    21st June yeah?
    I'll be out by then - will have been jabbed twice by a month before then, so I'll break into a pub if they're not open :smile:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My wife used to come home almost daily with lists of problems, systems that don't work, whole layers of people on the organisation who don't actually work to the agreed process, abusive clients, reception staff always double booking appointments or booking things into slots that are only for emergencies, when they are very minor things.
    So I ask, have you told your managers?
    No.

It really frustrates me, as she used to come home angry about things and it meant the place didn't run properly. That and one of the main parts of my job is process improvement.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Mrs gti's boss sounds like a cnut. People that kick downwards are fcuking sh1tbags. I'm learning to be a "leader" (as a natural born slacker and work avoider) and especially in this work from home situation it fcuking sucks, especially with a new team.
    One thing I will obstinately cling to as a "leader" though, is that is something goes wrong, it's my fault. Even if it's not, I should have made sure the mistake/misunderstanding didn't happen. Surely that is why a leader is a leader.

Credit will be attributed to the minion/team. They after all did the work.

I may be utterly unsuited to corporate management, but errors stick to the boss, and successes belong to the performing individual or team as appropriate. My job is to direct, oversee, and try to eliminate the risk of avoidable error, and allow or (hate the word) empower my team to own their successes.

I also call it not being a d1ck.

Just finished for the day. Fcuking deals.
  • I had a regency cotswold hamper turn up today, full of wine, jam biscuits chocs, cheese, salmon and stuff, lovely wicker basket, zipped cool bag base, plates, knives forks and stuff. Completely out of the blue from a former student I helped out with some stuff. Nice, ta!
  • tlw1
    hopkinb said:

Mrs gti's boss sounds like a cnut. People that kick downwards are fcuking sh1tbags. I'm learning to be a "leader" (as a natural born slacker and work avoider) and especially in this work from home situation it fcuking sucks, especially with a new team.
    One thing I will obstinately cling to as a "leader" though, is that is something goes wrong, it's my fault. Even if it's not, I should have made sure the mistake/misunderstanding didn't happen. Surely that is why a leader is a leader.

I may be utterly unsuited to corporate management, but errors stick to the boss, and successes belong to the performing individual or team as appropriate. My job is to direct, oversee, and try to eliminate the risk of avoidable error, and allow or (hate the word) empower my team to own their successes.

This is my style too, we achieved, I mucked up
  • Stevo_666

• johngti
    hopkinb said:

Bang on. I’m head of maths. I make it a point to pass on credit to the rest of the dept. I’m the one who faces the music if stuff goes wrong. And while everyone else is getting public praise because I’ve told the head/deputy that something good has happened, I never get a word said about me. And that’s the way it should be.

Although a bit of recognition occasionally would be nice!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Evening folks
    To quote Stevo ACOAD, but not in the style of Mrs GTi, At least my boss is alright, we work pretty well together. He deals with the politics whilst I deal with the product side of things and can tell the arseholes where to go.