Look keo or shimano spd-sl

Currently using shimano r540 spd-sl pedals, my first pair of clip less pedals. Want a second set of pedals so I don’t have to keep swapping between my 2 bikes. Interested in the look keo max but how do they compare to say a 105 r7000 pedal? People’s preferences please. Im not interested in speed play or mtb pedals

Comments

• If you get look pedals on your second bike you will need different shoes, or swap cleats every time you want to use it. Best to stick with Shimano if that's what you already have
  • wobblebob said:

If you get look pedals on your second bike you will need different shoes, or swap cleats every time you want to use it. Best to stick with Shimano if that's what you already have

Sorry, forgot to add I was looking into new shoes too. Thanks. The new pedals would be going on my tcr summer bike. So better pedals than I currently have. Basically I want to know if people have tried both systems and which have they found to be best. Or is it more down to preference?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I prefer Look - no real reason, I just like them. I did used to use Shimano on my turbo bike, but have also fitted Look style pedals on there, so if I had a shoe or cleat issue I have more options.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Having tried both Look for me as well.

For me personally I find them much easier to clip in & out of even on the 16nm Blades I prefer.

Only downside is that even on the zero degree fixed float there is still a degree or two movement which can also be good thing depending on your viewpoint.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    As a Shimano user, got to say the R540s are noticably inferior to every other SPD SL pedal there is. R540s have a metal body and plastic wear plate. All others have metal wear plates (and all others now are carbon or plastic bodies). Net result is R540s creak after a few months, none of the others do.

R7000s are excellent pedals but you get the big improvements with the cheaper R500s or the older gen R550s.

As to where they compare with Looks - you'll get some saying Look are miles better, others saying Shimano. I've used both and to me not much in it. Though the big advantage to me of Looks is that all power meter pedals like Favero, Garmin etc. take Look cleats. If that's something you're looking at in future, switch now,
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have Look Keo Classic pedals on three bikes and they have been fine for years.
  • I've used both, I agree there's not a lot in it. I use Ultegra pedals and they're a definite improvement on the R540's, the action is a lot nicer.

I find Shimano cleats are a bit easier to walk in.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I use Look pedals, they are fine. But if you want to ride a different bike - maybe a hire one, or try one of your mates, you have to remember you can't clip in (usually). I'm considering going back to Shimano at some point to avoid this issue.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I wouldn't dare put Shimano on my 2 Campag bikes so I use Look, and yes they work fine.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    To the OP. You're comparing apples and apples.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    dennisn said:

To the OP. You're comparing apples and apples.

...and is asking Autumn Gold or Cox's Orange Pippin?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Exustar
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Go for whichever you can get the best deal on.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Ben6899 said:

Exustar

lol, I have a pair of those I fitted on to my gf's winter bike - someone posted them on the bargains thread once upon a time, under £10 a pair iirc.
    Some people had big issues with graunchy bearrings, but these seemed fine, and still are a few years later.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daniel_b said:

Ben6899 said:

Exustar

lol, I have a pair of those I fitted on to my gf's winter bike - someone posted them on the bargains thread once upon a time, under £10 a pair iirc.
    Some people had big issues with graunchy bearrings, but these seemed fine, and still are a few years later.

They're cheaper, lighter. My go-to when needing new pedals nowadays.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I also don't think that there is anything between them as systems, I couldn't tell the difference anyway. I've gone for Look Keo 2 Max mostly because they were cheaper than equivalent weight Shimano pedals, and I have taken pedals away with me when I've hired a bike.
  • I have always used Look, as they were the originals. The good thing with Looks is they are very easy to self-service. You can replace spindles very easily and I tend to take mine completely apart, clean and regrease before and after winter.

Just purely on observation over the years, I'd say Looks tend to be quite a bit lighter, but less robust than the Shimano's. I use blades in the summer and they are ridiculously light and there is always some offer on that means you can get a bargain.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I use Look but if you already have Shimano I'd stick with them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Shimano Ultegra are fit and forget for me. Zero problems.

On all the bikes so I can use any bike/shoe combination.