Rack options. No mount points/eyelets

Looking for a rack to fit a rim braked carbon bike. Tailfin is a bit pricey although it does look nice.

Axiom Streamliner looks great but seems to be out of stock everywhere in UK and US will attract silly delivery charge, customs, and be slow. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axiom-Streamliner-Road-DLX-Rear-Rack-Black-Narrow-Mounts-to-QR-Skewer-700c-/303032897253?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

The next option seems to be a Blackburn Expedition 1 Disc. I think this would fit even if my bike doesn't have discs. I'll have to couple it with a Salsa seat clamp with mount points (or similar).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ZIQMCC/

Any other options I should be looking at?

Also, what about suitable pannier bags? At the moment I just want to carry a laptop really but if it works well I might use it for bikepacking too. In the past I've used a restrap large saddle bag but that won't fit a laptop.

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I plumped for a Tailfin to go on my Cervelo C3 and Canyon Grail Al
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    Ended up getting a Bontrager Backrack Lightweight MIK. Comes with QR and brake bridge mount. Seems pretty good although I did have to switch the mounting plates round.... seemed to be fitted incorrectly from factory or a returned item. Instructions were missing too.

Now just to figure out a suitable pannier bag. I might just plump for the Decathlon 500 for the weekend. Only really need to fit a laptop and a bit of clothing. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-waterproof-pannier-rack-bike-bag-20l/_/R-p-120036?mc=8355657&c=BLACK
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited February 2021
    stn5 said:

Ended up getting a Bontrager Backrack Lightweight MIK. Comes with QR and brake bridge mount. Seems pretty good although I did have to switch the mounting plates round.... seemed to be fitted incorrectly from factory or a returned item. Instructions were missing too.

Now just to figure out a suitable pannier bag. I might just plump for the Decathlon 500 for the weekend. Only really need to fit a laptop and a bit of clothing. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-waterproof-pannier-rack-bike-bag-20l/_/R-p-120036?mc=8355657&c=BLACK

Hey @stn5 - do you have a picture of it fitted please?
    Looks like it is lighter than the Axiom too?

I have a an alloy disc braked synapse, and was after a lightweight rack for occasional use, and went for a Tortec velocity rack, but it's not disc specific, and I'm not happy with the amount of bending apart it needs to make it fit.

I have fitted a seat clamp with added on mounting points which has worked nicely for me before - a bit like this:

But this Bontrager one sounds like it could be what I need - you have it fitted on the QR's or you had mounting points to bolt it onto?
    Is that the key thing that made you choose it, the QR option?

I already have some Ortliebs knocking about, so covered for panniers.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • stn5
    Both the Blackburn and the Bontrager have QR axles to mount but the difference is the Blackburn requires rack eyelets (or seat clamp like you have there) while the Bontrager can fit to brake bridge screw. Mine is behind my rim brake caliper.

I've just got it fitted to a standard carbon Cube Agree without any eyelets. I'll grab a photo for you later/tomorrow.

Apparently the rack can fit with normal QR in some cases but I needed the extra length of the included QR.

I was originally looking at Tailfin as I had no idea these other options even exist but I couldn't stomach the price as it's probably more than my bike is worth!

I was wondering if any solution exists for thru axle bikes. My other bike has thru axle discs.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for that, and in theory I assume you might be able to fit it still with the extenders but to actual rack mounting points, as I think my alloy synapse has them.
    I'm liking the way it moves the rack back a bit aiding heel clearance.
    I don't have a mounting point on the bridge, but the seatclamp bit gets around that issue for me.

Pic would be great if you have the chance.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • stn5
    edited February 2021
    @daniel_b Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/g4RLVAM

I think I actually somewhat prefer the Blackburn EX-1 Disc rack's fitting system to QR. It's one hunk of metal integrated in the rack rather than metal attachments, although like you say that also helps set the rack back a bit.

I actually have half of a Blackburn EX-1 Disc. I bought from Amazon warehouse and despite being listed as no missing parts it turned up as literally just lose parts including only a couple of screws in a massive box. It will be returned. The last pic has it rested on top of the Bontrager.

Also, the blackburn seatstay mounts look less sleek and I kinda like the brake caliper mount especially as my seatclamp is actually above the rack. The blackburn is much wider and probably more appropriate for the motorcycle tail bag I'm gonna chuck on it this weekend however I'll likely get a more appropriate bag system soon enough.

Also of course Bontrager have their usual 30 day unconditional guarantee so should it not work out I can return.

Overall, I'd say both are much of a muchness but the Bontrager wins on looks and potentially the blackburn on practicality. I'll try remember to update after I've given it a maiden voyage at the weekend.

• daniel_b
    edited February 2021
    Thanks very much for that @stn5 - shame about the blackburn missing all those parts, what a waste of everyone's time.

The Bontrager does look much more sleek I wholeheartedly agree, whilst the Blackburn is far more traditional commuter style fair imho.
    It also looks more like the Tortec I originally bought.

Do you happen to know if the set back pieces that come on the Bontrager could still be used even if you had actual rack mounting points?

What I am trying to articulate is that my alloy synapse has those mounting points, but I'm not sure if the fact the rack is designed for bikes that don't have them, means the only way to mount the would be via the QR.

I guess if you had a fairy visit and needed to get the wheel out whilst out and about, that could prove a bit of a complication?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • stn5
    Do you happen to know if the set back pieces that come on the Bontrager could still be used even if you had actual rack mounting points?

Hmm. I'm not super familiar with normal rack eyelets but I guess if they're the same screw hole size they could be with long screws. The QR skewer goes through the setback pieces. Have you seen Tubus' adapter kits though? They have various options. It was another route I looked at. Here's their QR adapter kit: https://www.tubus.com/en/products/accessories-rear-carriers/tubus-product/adapter-set-for-qr-axle-mounting

As for fairy visits.. not really too difficult. Only thing is you have to remove the skewer entirely and thread it through rather than just untwist it a little and remove wheel. You could say it makes the QR skewer a little like an imitation thru axle :)
  • stn5
    Bonus "loaded" pic.

Yes, it's pretty bodgy until I source some proper bags but it worked for the weekend.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    if you have the money the Tailfin is certainly nice even at the cheaper end of their price range
  • daniel_b
    I've decided, after watching the install video, to take a punt on this Roswheel rack, managed to find it for £28, versus the cheapest bonty at £54.
    Fitting options are a bit more restricted, so be interesting to see if I can make it fit!

https://sigmasports.com/item/Roswheel/Tour-Lightweight-Rear-Rack/S0TR

The weight is pretty reasonable, and I really liked the two light mounting options for the rear of the rack, while the Bonty only has one.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • stn5
    That one requires rack bosses right?
  • daniel_b
    stn5 said:

That one requires rack bosses right?

Yes indeed, should have mentioned that in relation to the thread title.
    Not gotten around to fitting it yet, but initial impressions are good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18