Clif bloks over bars?

I usually use gels when riding as I find chewing while out on the bike gives me heartburn. I got a free sample of the bloks and used them on a ride today. Very easy to digest and no heartburn. Seemed to work well too. Does anybody use them over energy bars? How do you find they fuel you? TIA

Comments

• Bought some for the first time in a promo recently, tasted nice, but far more chewy than my ride fuel of choice (Sainsbury's jelly babies).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I use them to supplement bars towards the end of a long ride.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah, much prefer them to gels or energy bars. However on normal rides I don't really use cycling/sport specific food, just regular cereal bars etc. However for the etape or a sportives I'd use bloks. As you say, easy to eat and digest whilst cycling and not stopping.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Got some free when ordering something - may have veen wiggle or merlin or crc.

popped one in my mouth when riding along. thought i was going to die as the glutaneous mess clogged up my mouth and throat.

sticking to jelly babies.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I find them better than sis energy gels, easier to digest l I got one with an order from sigma, bought more a less straight away
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

Got some free when ordering something - may have veen wiggle or merlin or crc.

popped one in my mouth when riding along. thought i was going to die as the glutaneous mess clogged up my mouth and throat.

sticking to jelly babies.

Never had a similar experience. >:) I would have thought one of the Matts had tried that line.
  • Clif Blocks are not bad but I severely doubt they're much different to Jelly babies or Jelly Beans which taste better and are about 100 times cheaper.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited February 2021
    I use the Clif Blok tropical ones, which have some caffeine (Think one other flavour has caffeine in, but never tried it) in them - love them.
    I'm too ham fisted to use gels, I'll just end up wearing them or dropping them, plus the texture (or lack of much) does little for me.

I do take bars, but the bloks are uber practical, you can also chew or let it dissolve if you prefer.
    I cut the top off a pack, and either pop the pack under the leg of my short, or in a back pocket - and I am able to ease a blok out one handed, so can still keep a hand on the bars.

A few packs of those, plus normal hydration got me around the Ride London course a couple of years ago, fantastic on the go, no down sides that I can see.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh

Clif Blocks are not bad but I severely doubt they're much different to Jelly babies or Jelly Beans which taste better and are about 100 times cheaper.

Except the ones with caffeine in
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited February 2021
    Clif blok tropical vs Bassets jellybabies vs non caffeine clifblok:

Sugar being circa double is the standout difference for me, oh and the presence of Potassium as well, which appears to be lacking in the jelly babies.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    daniel_b said:

Sugar being circa double is the standout difference for me, oh and the presence of Potassium as well, which appears to be lacking in the jelly babies.

Now do price per 100g!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    elbowloh said:

daniel_b said:

Now do price per 100g!
    Be cheaper to get a bag of jelly babies and a banana