Returning to MTB'ing after 20 plus years, so much has changed. Especially tubeless tyres (questions)

So, after having a slight health scare a few weeks back, I decided to try and get a little fit. With this the only proper exercise i ever liked years ago was cycling. I had an Orange Aluminium 'O' back in the 90's with some Pace RC35 forks.
Anyway, I have taken delivery of an Orange Crush 27.5 and am blown away by how things have changed over the years.
The one change i cant get my head around so much is tubeless tyres. The bike is currently in the workshop being converted to tubeless.
My questions are....
How do i manage a puncture while out on a ride? Are there repair kits/patches? Are punctures less likely to happen?
I know these are laughable questions but its hard to get my head around, riding a bike without inner tubes lol.
TIA

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Punctures should be less likely but you should have sealant that will seal most before you have to do anything. If it's so bad the sealant can't cope you can get worms to plug the hole. Long bits of rubber covered in glue that you poke through the hole with a sharp tool supplied in the repair kit.
    Have a look for some YouTube videos to learn the technique. Or the Cycle Clinic has a video on his website and sells the kits.
    Basically once on you shouldn't have to remove the tyre until it needs replacing.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Always carry a tube and the means to inflate it for when all else fails.
  • thanks for the tips, both make good sense
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I dont carry anything if im not too bothered about walking home. I havent had a deflation on tubeless for years. If im going somewhere special or remote I always carry a spare tube etc.
  • So, after having a slight health scare a few weeks back, I decided to try and get a little fit. With this the only proper exercise i ever liked years ago was cycling. I had an Orange Aluminium 'O' back in the 90's with some Pace RC35 forks.
    Anyway, I have taken delivery of an Orange Crush 27.5 and am blown away by how things have changed over the years.
    The one change i cant get my head around so much is tubeless tyres. The bike is currently in the workshop being converted to tubeless.
    My questions are....
    How do i manage a puncture while out on a ride? Are there repair kits/patches? Are punctures less likely to happen?
    I know these are laughable questions but its hard to get my head around, riding a bike without inner tubes lol.
    TIA

12 years tubeless - no flats so far.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Tubeless is the business! No going back.

I say this every time, but it bears repeating:

Fitting a tubeless tyre is a bit harder than an expert makes it look, but a lot easier than a beginner makes it look.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    mully79 said:

I dont carry anything if im not too bothered about walking home. I havent had a deflation on tubeless for years. If im going somewhere special or remote I always carry a spare tube etc.

Stopped carrying a tube since I got a tubeless repair kit, quicker, easier and less mess. If the hole can't be plugged a tube would bulge out the side
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Tubeless repair kits are good (inserting worms etc), but for the type of damage they won't fix, where a spare tube would bulge, you need something in addition. Tubeless tyre patches applied to the inside are what does the job then. These are a get you home fix, not a permanent repair. It has never happened to me (yet), but I have read in bike magazines that riders have used gel sachets, bits of discarded cardboard, whatever can be found. This is inserted in the tube and held in place with some gaffer tape. I always have about six feet of gaffer tape wound around the barrel of my mini-pump. And a knife of course.

But nothing will fix this sort of tyre problem.

By the way, gaffer tape (the universal fixer) comes in handy for lots of things. I have even used it as a sticking plaster in conjunction with some paper towels that I always carry as well. They also come in handy!

Another tip. If you have any type of tube or tyre patch that relies on it being self-adhesive, then check that the adhesive is still working from time to time. I once needed to apply a tube patch for my grand daughter's bike. The glue on all of the self adhesive patches had gone crystalline. I had had them for several years.