Very unfit and out of shape

13»

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567

Heres some basic numbers I've worked out this morning, based on my age.
    (Source : https://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm)

If you want to find a max HR then ditch trying to find it on a bike, find the nearest steep hill and run up it as fast as you can. Running will elevate your HR far higher than a bike ever will.

Aside from all of the above, nearly everyone uses wrist based HR monitors, which aren't accurate in the first place... I'll get my coat.

Finding your max heart rate by running up a hill wouldn't translate to anything useful for cycling because as you've pointed out it would probably be higher than you could achieve on a bike. Max heart rate is specific to each sport.
  • big.bream83SGjmJv
    big.bream83SGjmJv Posts: 53
    edited August 2021
    masjer and photonic69,

Exactly. That is what I found when delving into the data I had. As I returned after the 20year break, the max heart rate had changed (I'd run up a 3 mile Fell and hey presto a new max HR was logged, so Polar updated it). The "Fitness Test" which uses your resting HR would increase, it is now sitting at "Elite" (although I am not elite!!!) but started in "Below Average". Resting (sat at the desk) HR for me is around 53 at the moment, drops to 42'ish when asleep.

So, according to the numbers I "should" be fit (for my age), and this has been reached by using a Low Zone based approach, starting with an estimate of 220 - age. Not bad really.
  • masjer said:

If you want to find a max HR then ditch trying to find it on a bike, find the nearest steep hill and run up it as fast as you can. Running will elevate your HR far higher than a bike ever will.

Aside from all of the above, nearly everyone uses wrist based HR monitors, which aren't accurate in the first place... I'll get my coat.

Finding your max heart rate by running up a hill wouldn't translate to anything useful for cycling because as you've pointed out it would probably be higher than you could achieve on a bike. Max heart rate is specific to each sport.

How can you have more than one max heart rate?

Maybe I should start another Thread, this is all really good stuff people. Lots to learn from each other!
  • If you have heart rate data for your training rides which include 20min+ efforts, https://crickles.casa/ will give you a dynamic estimated Lactate Threshold Heart Rate and your zones.

Both the FTP and LTHR estimates have become a lot more dynamic in recent times on the site, in the past your estimates would be in place for ~6 weeks, the recommended longest intervals between FTP tests.

For my current LTHR estimate of 162bpm my Crickle's zones vs my zones based on Strava using my max heart rate seen in the last couple of months of 185bpm (regularly hit 180+ for efforts aged 47) are...
    <132 vs <109
    132-143 vs 109-144
    143-152 vs 144-161
    152-162 vs 161-179
    162+ vs 179+

Considerable differences. Ordinarily when not ill, I know I can hold approx 160-165bpm for a 20min+ threshold effort these days, much more in line with Crickles numbers.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    masjer said:

I'm going to suggest that you are not trying hard enough when cycling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Running heart rate zones are usually higher than cycling because max heart rate is higher. Running using more muscle groups than cycling and cycling is a weight supported exercise.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I admire your fortitude in arguing your thoughts. However I got my first heart rate monitor over 25 years ago and I have always used ones with chest straps. Also I have never known any one who was serious about their training having a wrist monitor.
    So as well as going up to 203 riding in the Alps when I was in my early 40’s. I have also done a ramp/ threshold test on a turbo trainer supervised by a qualified British cycling coach. I also did a beep test in the gym, the one where you run to the beeps as they get faster.
    Currently at the age of 66 my max seems to be around 180, significantly higher than 220 missus my age. I did did a 150 mile ride the day before my birthday which took 9 hrs 43 mins with an average hr of 139 and a max of 177. If I had ridden to levels from 220 minus my age I would be still out there. :)
    However these days a power metre is going to of a lot more use if you are trying to fitter/ faster.
  • pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Interesting that one. I've found that trying my absolute hardest up my local hill (17% gradient, I live in the Lakes...), I rarely get above 165bpm on the bike but if I run up it I can max out at 177.

I think a lot depends on your muscle groups and how they have been developed. On the bike my legs definitely hold me back, its like they run out of power very quickly, and therefore I can't push any harder, and therefore my HR is probably not getting as high as it should.. Hope that makes sense.

So, for me personally, Running always gives a higher HR than cycling ever does.
  • webboo said:

I admire your fortitude in arguing your thoughts. However I got my first heart rate monitor over 25 years ago and I have always used ones with chest straps. Also I have never known any one who was serious about their training having a wrist monitor.
    So as well as going up to 203 riding in the Alps when I was in my early 40’s. I have also done a ramp/ threshold test on a turbo trainer supervised by a qualified British cycling coach. I also did a beep test in the gym, the one where you run to the beeps as they get faster.
    Currently at the age of 66 my max seems to be around 180, significantly higher than 220 missus my age. I did did a 150 mile ride the day before my birthday which took 9 hrs 43 mins with an average hr of 139 and a max of 177. If I had ridden to levels from 220 minus my age I would be still out there. :)
    However these days a power metre is going to of a lot more use if you are trying to fitter/ faster.

Thankyou webboo, not trying to argue - honest! I appreciate your contribution to the discussion, we can all learn from one another. You sound way fitter than I ever will be and you probably know way more than I do, but it's good to discuss this stuff. :smile:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Running heart rate zones are usually higher than cycling because max heart rate is higher. Running using more muscle groups than cycling and cycling is a weight supported exercise.
    Masjer is correct. Running HR does not correlate with cycling HR. Your running MHR is likely to be higher.
  • masjer

masjer said:

pblakeney said:

masjer said:

Masjer is correct. Running HR does not correlate with cycling HR. Your running MHR is likely to be higher.
    Prove it!
    Sorry! (Private joke)
  • imposter2.0
    Well, joke or not - here's some peer-reviewed science.. ;)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19290675/
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    masjer said:

Is knowing your max heart rate even useful? Max heart rate is a genetic outcome (decreasing with age) and doesn't indicate current fitness to any degree.
    Testing lactate threshold heart rate, then working out training zones from there is much more useful as the training zones are based on your fitness.
    When new to exercise, Max heart rate can give you a loose guide to training zones only. As your fitness increases, train zones should change too.

Max H.R. is useful to know, although not vitally important in the grand scheme of things admittedly. If you know what it is, you can see when you’re about to start getting into difficulties, and avoid that happening, as long as you have a HRM and something with which to see it.
  • masjer
    Ncovidius said:

masjer said:

Is knowing your max heart rate even useful? Max heart rate is a genetic outcome (decreasing with age) and doesn't indicate current fitness to any degree.
    Testing lactate threshold heart rate, then working out training zones from there is much more useful as the training zones are based on your fitness.
    When new to exercise, Max heart rate can give you a loose guide to training zones only. As your fitness increases, train zones should change too.

Max H.R. is useful to know, although not vitally important in the grand scheme of things admittedly. If you know what it is, you can see when you’re about to start getting into difficulties, and avoid that happening, as long as you have a HRM and something with which to see it.
    I partly agree, but knowing your LTHR and exercising far higher that it (with a HRM), will also indicate you're above a sustainable effort.
  • imposter2.0
    Ncovidius said:

. If you know what it is, you can see when you’re about to start getting into difficulties, and avoid that happening, as long as you have a HRM and something with which to see it.

Of all the good reasons to know your MHR - this is not one of them.

• I agree that it is really hard to reach your max HR on a bike until your leg strength and breathing capacity have improved, whereas a short run uphill does the trick pretty quickly :D
  • imposter2.0

I agree that it is really hard to reach your max HR on a bike until your leg strength and breathing capacity have improved, whereas a short run uphill does the trick pretty quickly :D

At the risk of playing Bikeradar bingo here - leg strength ain't got nothing to do with it.
  • masjer
    House!
  • I agree that it is really hard to reach your max HR on a bike until your leg strength and breathing capacity have improved, whereas a short run uphill does the trick pretty quickly :D

At the risk of playing Bikeradar bingo here - leg strength ain't got nothing to do with it.
    Legs (strength) Eleven, number Eleven.
  • Ncovidius

I agree that it is really hard to reach your max HR on a bike until your leg strength and breathing capacity have improved, whereas a short run uphill does the trick pretty quickly :D

Agreed. Aerobic endurance is the key, not how strong ( or not ) your legs are.

• Ncovidius
    masjer said:

Ncovidius said:

masjer said:

I partly agree, but knowing your LTHR and exercising far higher that it (with a HRM), will also indicate you're above a sustainable effort.
    But by doing so, you’ll improve your aerobic endurance, which is the game really.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    My experience with HRM training as a relatively fit fatty is its a good tool to avoid pushing too hard.
    When i was 16 stone i ran 8 minute miles at 150bpm.
    Now im 19 stone im running 13 minute miles at 155bpm but because thats so slow my muscle memory wants to push harder than my body can cope with.

Runnings too hard at my weight to stay in lower heart rate zones. Cycling wise i can push much higher heart rates because my weights less of a factor so i can push hard for longer but I can actually get some beneficial training in the lower zones and feel like i've done some exercise.
  • To me the numbers on the food packaging mean the same as the language you might find on the internal walls of a pyramid.

"I don't understand it = therefore it's not useful" Cracking logic...

OK I see what your getting at. But let me try to explain just how stupid I am, and why logic gets warped with lack of education.

Rockets are useful. They put satellites into space so we can all get 5g and GPS. But if I tried to build a rocket it definitely wouldn't be very useful at all. Instead of advanced communication systems all you would get from me is a smoke signal.
  • I came out the army in 2010 and was diagnosed with ptsd and anxiety and stress, been a battle ever since, not worked for last 4 years and very unfit and out of shape could do with loosing a stone in weight and my mental health doctor told me to take up a sport and exercise so I got a second hand specialized allez elite and took up cycling but I'm not sure how far I should be cycling at first and feel really deflated at how unfit I am as I used to be so fit and active I could run 5 miles no problem not even out of breath, but I'm struggling on the bike my legs burn and my censored hurts is this because I'm new to cycling and not used to it

I have just been on my first ride. I found motivation wasn't an issue if there was a bakery at my turnaround point. Like you, I used to be superfit and I've found it bloody hard, but enjoyable to peel back years of neglect to feel like I once did. Also, Vaseline. Vaseline is your friend.