Bike feels quite cramped to ride

I have a 2012 Giant Defy 2 in a 56cm frame size and I'm 190cm tall (6'2"). I know the bike is a bit small for me based on my height, but is there anything I can do to make it feel less cramped when I'm in the drops especially? Riding the drops makes my stomach feel quite squashed and I don't feel like I can breathe fully in that position.

I have slid the seat as far back as I can and have the seat height adjusted properly. The bike is all stock standard. The stem length is 10cm (3.9"). Would it be worth putting on a longer stem and seat post with an offset? Or do I really just need to get a new bike in a larger size?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Longer stem, longer reach handlebars.

Do not adjust reach with the seat. The seat position should be set so it is in the correct position relative the bottom bracket for your legs, Reach is adjusted by changing the stem and handlebars.
  • I did a little more research and my one has the Giant compact road design type frame, so being an L size apparently it's equivalent to a much larger frame size than the 56cm seat tube height according to Giant.

I've been looking around for stems and found a whole bunch of sizes. Since I have a 100mm length stem on the bike, should I go straight for a 130mm one?

I found these which seem to have good reviews and was considering buying the 130mm 7 degree model https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001313602998.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6f5f3b49y2kHkX&algo_pvid=6d0a277c-23ea-4b30-95aa-3f424b1fcdc3&algo_expid=6d0a277c-23ea-4b30-95aa-3f424b1fcdc3-0&btsid=0bb0622c16134600168643721eea4a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    As above, saddle back to roughly the middle of the rails, centre of your knee should cut through the centre of the b/b.

adjust saddle height suitably.

Its likely you'll need a 120 or 130 stem - you sound the same height as me and if I were going to go on a 56, which is nidge too small, I'd go from the 110 I always us on a 57 to a 120.

This isn't in stone though, so borrow some stems off people or go on the net and buy some from the bargain buckets - you can pick them up from Planet X or similar for a fiver. Once you have found the length you need send the others back.

Overall though, frame size sounds too small for you.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    A longer stem may help, but you'll also need raise the stem on the forks if you can, as the saddle to bar drop is possibly too much if you're having breathing difficulties.
  • Thanks for all the advice I've received so far, were those ones I linked to on Aliexpress the right type for my bike?

Also at the moment my seat is maybe 1-2cm higher than my bars so only a very small saddle to bar drop.
  • MattFalle
    So long as ypu have 31.8 mm 'bars (ie fat modern ones) and not skinny 'bars they will work fine.

note that the -17 drop is massive so it'll either be pointing up a bit of dropped massively down.

tbf, a stem is a stem is a stem at those prices so worth a bosh to see what happens.

That is a very small saddle to bar drop for someone your height on that bike - are you sure the saddle is at the right height?
  • If you want to keep that bike, I'd get a professional fitting to see if it's viable. Even in a compact frame, 56 cm at the limit for a 6'2" person. It could also be proportions, if you have long arms the cockpit might seemed cramped.

A fitting would be a better use of your money, I think. It might be that you just need a new stem/bar combo. Or the fitter might say that the TCR won't work for you no matter what.
  • MattFalle
    i wouldn't even go that far, being the same height as you i'd say its too small.

soz geezer.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    If you're not sure what stem size you need i recommend buying some second hand ones on eBay. You can usually pick them up for under a tenner.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    OP Your 2012 Defy Aluxx Defy 2 Geometry for size L is
    Head Angle 72.5 deg.
    Seat Tube Angle 73.0 deg.
    Top Tube 57.5cm
    Head Tube 20.5cm
    Stem Length 110.0cm
    Chain Stay 42.0cm
    Wheel Base 102.2cm
    Reach 39.0cm
    Stack 60.5cm