Garmin 1000 replacement

My Edge 1000 is on its last legs / the screen is failing and the plastic on/off button covering has failed. It's been used mainly for tracking but navigation is important to me and European wide.

What would people recommend?

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Bolt
    Element
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Bolt
    Element

You forgot the 1030 plus.
  • 530... had if for 18 months, hasn't put a foot wrong. Great battery life, great screen...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Wahoo Roam is also worth serious consideration.
  • I replaced my 1000 with a 1030 plus due to the 1000 battery life dropping considerably over the 3-4 years I had it which latterly had me carrying an external battery pack for long rides. The on/off button had also started to disintegrate.

The 1030 is a great upgrade if you're after similar screen size and navigation features but in a better all round package. Screen is better quality and sensitivity is great (no more accidental screen locks) not to mention all the new features. The battery life is so much better as well.

I also considered the Wahoo roam but discounted it more on the basis of the fact that the features weren't significantly better than the 1030 and I would also need to replace all of my mounts, which in itself would have been fairly costly.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Get in touch with the Garmin service centre and ask for a repair. You may get a service exchange which can be as good as new and a lot cheaper than buying one or if they are not supporting the 1000 they may offer you a big discount on its replacement. They did this for an Edge 510 (service exchange) then discounted some Vector 3 pedals when they couldn't repair my Vector 2 ones. Got nothing to loose.
  • Thanks for the input everyone / really helpful advice... I'll go the service centre route 1st then. I won't go Wahoo due to mount compatibility etc.

Then it's to decide between the 530 (probably all I really need) and the more expensive models.
  • the more expensive models have touch screen, but I am not quite sure what's the point of it. You can't really use it effectively while you are riding and half of the year you will wear long gloves and it won't work
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

the more expensive models have touch screen, but I am not quite sure what's the point of it. You can't really use it effectively while you are riding and half of the year you will wear long gloves and it won't work

Lots of fingered gloves work with touch screen Ugo.
    Also why can't you use a touch screen effectively whilst riding? I have no issues using my 830 all year round.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I recently changed my old 520 for a 530 and it's been great so far.
    It's all I need and the screen is a bit bigger than the 520 which helps my ageing eyes.... I wanted to stay with buttons to avoid possible issues with gloves etc.
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    Karoo Hammerhead 2 looks interesting too....
  • I might have considered the likes of a Bolt, until I found a Lezyne Mega XL on Amazon for the bargain price of £136 just after Xmas.

My Super GPS Enhanced still works, but after lots of use over four years the battery looks to be dying a little, plus somt rides in The Mendips last September made me crave offline routing.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hdow said:

Get in touch with the Garmin service centre and ask for a repair. You may get a service exchange which can be as good as new and a lot cheaper than buying one or if they are not supporting the 1000 they may offer you a big discount on its replacement. They did this for an Edge 510 (service exchange) then discounted some Vector 3 pedals when they couldn't repair my Vector 2 ones. Got nothing to loose.

Thanks - tremendous advice. Edge 1000 being returned and heavily discounted 530 on its way.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

the more expensive models have touch screen, but I am not quite sure what's the point of it. You can't really use it effectively while you are riding and half of the year you will wear long gloves and it won't work

Many gloves on the market are designed to work with touchscreens. I have a 1030 which was a very worthwhile upgrade to my previous 1000. Points to note;

1. Be careful which mount you buy/ use. Many are not listed as compatible with the 1030 model as it is so heavy. Mounts can snap, even K-Edge.

2. The 1030 battery life is absolutely excellent. I bought a power pack for charging whilst recording for a 250 mile 17hr ride last summer - didn’t need it, the 1030 battery lasted for the whole ride!

3. I run Shimano Dura Ace R9170 shifters with the ‘hidden’ buttons. These can be programmed to page left and right through your Garmin screens. This is an excellent feature and so much better than having to swipe left/ right with a finger. It means you can keep both hands on the hoods, which is particularly good when descending and perhaps you want to swipe to display the map to see upcoming bends, or when climbing a steep hill and you want to change screens - which is particularly hard to do if you need to take a hand off the bars to swipe, especially if standing...

4. If you do go with a Garmin ALWAYS use the tether around the bars. I have had 2 mount quarter turn inserts snap and two of the tabs on the Garmin itself (which locate in the quarter turn mount snap going over rough tarmac - it’s related to point 1 above - the tabs are weak design in my opinion, hence why Racewear Direct make a repair piece with new tabs to glue on.... the inserts are supposed to be the weaker part and are designed to snap to protect the tabs, but they don’t always work as designed.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Lots of fingered gloves work with touch screen Ugo.
    Also why can't you use a touch screen effectively whilst riding? I have no issues using my 830 all year round.

Agreed, 830 is brilliant and works fine with my gloves... maybe buyers remorse. ;)
  • So went 530 in the end and despite a few challenges adapting to not having a touch screen, I really can't find fault with it. The screen is so much clearer and the buttons are intuitive, now I have used it on a few rides.
  • My Edge 1000 is on its last legs / the screen is failing and the plastic on/off button covering has failed......

My 810 Power button also failed, you may well be able to extend the life using a similar workaround to me; as there seem to be no spares to rectify this. A Google search did show that some had used an old base unit with a working power button then swapped the internals over; sadly I'm the kind of person that would probably break it completely attempting that; plus the 'second hand' base units, that I found at least, were not cheap! But, I did find a much simpler workaround. First I cleaned out what was left of the original button, then I made a new one by cutting up an unused 'packing piece' from an old bike light or computer bracket, I dare say most of us probably have some of those kicking about; but something similar would no doubt suffice.

It was quite easy to trim a bit down with some scissors, roughly to a size to fill the hole then and to a depth so that it was nearly flush with the side of the 810, too shallow it could fall inside the unit and too deep and the 'silicone case' would not fit snuggly, to avoid the former I started with it too deep and trimmed a bit at a time until the case fitted accurately. Although it is not actually attached like the original, or a perfect fit, the 'silicone case' holds it securely in place; if anything it works better than the original and the case does give some protection from the elements; mind you if it was pouring with rain I would probably remove to put it in my pocket when just using the unit to collect ride data as opposed to using it to navigate. I'm not sure how long this work round will last but short term it has stopped me throwing it in the bin that's for sure!

I did contact Garmin Support to see if a button was available as a spare, although they said 'no' they did offer me 30% off a current model; I am very tempted with an 830!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

I did contact Garmin Support to see if a button was available as a spare, although they said 'no' they did offer me 30% off a current model; I am very tempted with an 830!

The 830's a nice upgrade, if only for much better battery life.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    According to my LBS and various online rumours, the 530 is due for a refresh this year (possibly the 830 as well), as is the Wahoo Bolt. So something to keep in mind if you are in need of a replacement GPS.