Zwift on an Amazon Fire TV

I'm a bit late to the party with Zwift and am thinking of getting a Wattbike and pairing it with Zwift on my existing TV - a JVC LT-43CF890 Amazon Fire TV Edition. Having had a quick look, I'm not clear I can pair it with this TV as I don't think the app is compatible. I don't seem to be able to download it from Google Play onto the TV in any event. Anyone have any pointers?

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Simple answer is Zwift isn't compatible with any Smart TV's I'm aware of of. Also not compatible with a standalone Fire Stick as it's simply not powerful enough to run the game.

The most cost effective (but not necessarily the best) way to run Zwift is Apple TV. I got the 4K version on eBay for about £100 I think it was & although it's not as cutting edge as high end PC's it's also a lot cheaper & runs the game fine.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Another way to do it is to install Zwift on your mobile phone/tablet and screen cast it to the TV. Graphics probably aren't as good as the Apple TV 4K, but if you already have a phone/table that works then you save yourself £100...
    Your trainer and sensors are paired to your phone using ANT+ or Bluetooth.
  • thistle_ said:

Another way to do it is to install Zwift on your mobile phone/tablet and screen cast it to the TV. Graphics probably aren't as good as the Apple TV 4K, but if you already have a phone/table that works then you save yourself £100...
    Your trainer and sensors are paired to your phone using ANT+ or Bluetooth.

I tried this when I first signed up for Zwift and from experience, it didn't really work. I used a Microsoft Cast HDMI adapter and downloaded the app for my Android phone. It would constantly drop out and freeze and then I'd have to re-boot the app.

I've since bought a 4K Apple TV and it's been spot on. For the sake of £100-£120 I'd just go down that route. Or use a Laptop with a decent enough graphics card to run the app.
  • How do you find using the remote on the apple TV in the Zwift app?

It's a real PITA in certain screens such as the workout selector or rider / bike settings.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

How do you find using the remote on the apple TV in the Zwift app?

It's a real PITA in certain screens such as the workout selector or rider / bike settings.

In a word dreadful. The ATV remote isn't for purpose.

I do find it slightly easier using the Remote app on my iPhone but not much.
  • ibr17xvii said:

How do you find using the remote on the apple TV in the Zwift app?

In a word dreadful. The ATV remote isn't for purpose.

I do find it slightly easier using the Remote app on my iPhone but not much.
    yes I tried the remote app but no real improvement.
    Glad (not glad, but you know what I mean) it's not just me then - hopefully they will update the app on apple TV at some point to make this work better.