Quick question - Tubeless sealant

Hi all,

Just set up my gp5000tls, went on fine. I used the recommended 30mls of sealant, and as i was pumping up the tyres, had a bit of leakage around the rims, which i quickly wiped away. Tyre Inflated and stayed at same pressure over night.

Do I now top up the sealant to account for what was lost through leakage? (prob less than 10mls)

Cheers

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited February 2021
    I always use 40 mls on the initial set up, just in case of any loss, my top up is in between 10 / 12 weeks with 30 mls

You can top up with 10 mls it will not hurt
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Cheers Dave
  • Some actual professional mechanics will tell you that once the tyre is seated, and any small gaps are sealed up properly, you really don’t need very much sealant at all. Some of the pro team mechanics with bikes that are running tubeless rather than tubs, pretty much just paint a bit of sealant around the inside of the tyre.
  • Some actual professional mechanics will tell you that once the tyre is seated, and any small gaps are sealed up properly, you really don’t need very much sealant at all. Some of the pro team mechanics with bikes that are running tubeless rather than tubs, pretty much just paint a bit of sealant around the inside of the tyre.

The pro teams do that as they're not relying on the sealant to seal punctures, just to seal the tire onto the rim. The loss of pressure you get from a puncture that seals means they'll still be looking at a wheel swap.

They're running tubeless now because of the alleged lower rolling resistance, indeed some teams like Quick Step are mainly running clinchers now for the same reason.

If you're looking for the sealant to seal punctures then Dave is absolutely correct and it needs topping up every 3-4 months as it will dry out.