Son's bike - Carrera Blast 24"

Hi All, I've recently picked up a 2nd hand bike for my lad, and it looks to be a popular bike with a few on the forums, for upgrading a little. It currently has a 3 x 7 gear setup.
I've been cycling for years, but most maintenance has been to replace parts, and not a lot of changing or upgrading.

The bike has a few little issues that i'm going to work on first, gearing is as smooth as a victorian cobbled street.

The pedals / chainrings have a slight wobble to them, and whilst this could be that the pedal isnt pitted correctly, I guess it could be an issue with the BB. It currently has a Square taper BB, but i was wondering if over time that this could be replaced with the cups style BB?

I've purchased some new brakes to replace the ones on there, as they weren't working very well, no matter how much adjustment, i couldn't get the back wheel to bite properly.

As the gearing is currently 3x7 with a grip shift, the front shifter is really stiff, so i'm looking to change them over to trigger shifters, away from the grip shift. But 7 speeds SRAM triggers are difficult to find. So I guess I have to replace the x3 rear derailleur.

On my own bike, I have SRAM gears, and 8 speed cassette, could I swap that over to my sons bike, without having to swap the rear wheel?

I'll be looking to uprate the suspension, and just make the bike lose a little weight, and just getting it working nice and smoothly for him.

He enjoys getting out of the bike, and was a little gutted during lockdown 1, as he came off his last bike and broke his thumb, so his riding time was lessened quite a bit.

I've been searching some forum classifieds and Ebay, but cant find replacement 7 speed cassettes, and shifters. So I guess my only other option is to replace the whole shifting setup, and switch to shimano? Would that be correct?

Thanks Tom

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2