Phone cost over cycle

2»

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

As a follow up I just want to buy a cheap Samsung (ie A41) should I be looking places other than Amazon

Yes, Amazon used to be a good benchmark if not the absolute cheapest but these days can be quite overpriced.

The prices on premium models are very much controlled like a cartel but not so fixed in the mid range.
    If you google sim free A41 you will find well known places with largely similar prices. The only ones that are notably cheaper are ones where the reviews typically turn up sketchy service.

Try uswitch. Mid range phones can be more cost effective on contract as the profit margin on the package generates enough revenue to cover the cost of the phone unlike with premium phones. Suppliers also know they need to offer better value than they do to someone who will pay whatever the latest and greatest costs.

Depends what you pay for data etc. If you only pay a couple of quid a month, sim free is cheaper. If you pay £10-£15 per month, you can probably get a mid range phone effectively included for no extra.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    elbowloh said:

Family are with smarty. £7 gets unlimited everything plusx2GB of data. If you don't use all the data you get money back prorata at £1 per GB. If you run outcits £1 per GB on top. No contract. We also get a family discount on top. For a new phone the xiaomi mi 10 lite is 5G with acceptable bells and whistles for about £180. Look as good as phone costing a grand.

Plus you get some sweet treats
    I expect customer service is good as they'll have all the answers.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    ddraver said:

OK helpful - and anyone have a view on the weird networks like ID, etc?

giff gaff is super cheap for data and I've had no more issues with questionable cornish coverage than Vodaphone or o2.

Check out the 'budget' phones around 3 or 400 squids too (Pixel 4a my fave) as they're more than enough for speaking, texting or twitter browsing sort of use.
    Bought the kids Motorola phones recently, maybe £200-250? I have a Moto G4 from 2016, still fine.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    secretsam said:

ddraver said:

OK helpful - and anyone have a view on the weird networks like ID, etc?

giff gaff is super cheap for data and I've had no more issues with questionable cornish coverage than Vodaphone or o2.

Check out the 'budget' phones around 3 or 400 squids too (Pixel 4a my fave) as they're more than enough for speaking, texting or twitter browsing sort of use.
    Bought the kids Motorola phones recently, maybe £200-250? I have a Moto G4 from 2016, still fine.
    My gf has a G5 which is 3.5 years old, but the battery has just started misbehaving, was looking at getting her a G8 replacement, and they are only £120 which seemed pretty reasonable, but she's trying to be frugal, and as this is still one where you can change the battery, just ordered a replacement for a whole £7.50 - even if that gives anothers years use, it will be money well spent.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18