MTB Newbie asking help on upgrade...

HI all - thanks for your help in advance.

I just bought this entry level MTB bike a couple weeks ago in large part because I have $6k of road bikes and wife gave me a short leash on MTB. Got a Marin Bobcat Trail 5: https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-bobcat-trail-5

The cranks are just awful (you get what you pay for), feel cheap, sound cheap, rattle over big bumps, just not great - my road bike is SRAM Red on FSA cranks so I have been fairly spoiled.

Do I just switch the cranks to Deore? I was also looking at the entire front crankset but that has 12 gears where the rear cassette has only 11 as I am currently assembled.

Maybe I just switch the crank themselves only then?

Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Are the cranks rattling or is the chain hitting the chain stay?
    Make sure the clutch is switched ON on the rear derailleur and fit a chainstay protector to deaden the noise of the chain striking the chain stay and protect it from damage.

If you do change the chain set then Deore is a good option and Deore FC-M5100 is 10/11 speed compatible. You'll also probably have to change the BB.
    Personally I wouldn't bother until the chain ring wears out.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks JBA - what happens is its an irritating rattle noise from a rock/curb whatever. It all is generated from the crank. Just went to to the bike, everything turns fine, etc and no noise unless a big bump. It "feels and sounds" like things are not as tight as it should be but its in fact tight. I may record this because it's driving me insane.