Friday - reconciling Euler's totient constant

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

apparently there's also a 'bitter taste', but i didn't test that

I would say "who the hell eats batteries", but as a kid, I used to lick the terminals of 9v batteries for the tingles.

It’s a slippery slope hop, one day you’re licking batteries and the next you wake up surrounded left over M&S cream sponge wondering where it all went wrong 😔
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn said:

Brian Potter "What would Thora Hird do?"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,721
    There was a small child with a battery lodged in her throat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-55630822

Perhaps the nasty taste is a dissuader?

As predicted, long hard muddy work day. Job done, tick. Just poured the first well deserved beer, this one an Oakham Citra fyi. There may be more to follow.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    orraloon said:

There was a small child with a battery lodged in her throat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-55630822

Perhaps the nasty taste is a dissuader?

As predicted, long hard muddy work day. Job done, tick. Just poured the first well deserved beer, this one an Oakham Citra fyi. There may be more to follow.

swallowing button-cell batteries can be extremely damaging/fatal, but we've had them for 60-70 years, i remember being given a bulova sometime in the 60's, must've been a mercury cell in it back then, i survived (unlike the watch)

but i'm unconvinced the packaging is the issue, more a case of the unaware/worse leaving them accessible, the unfortunate kid in the bbc link seems to have got a used one

once you've discovered electricity by sticking your fingers in a light socket, a bitter taste is pure jam :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno said:

I bet that water resistant plasterboard is even pricier than it was 3 years ago.

I'll find out when the bath gets chucked for a walk in shower. But everything seems so far away at the moment.

If you're sticking tiles on it, don't use plasterboard. Use some 20mm marmox board. Its basically an extruded insulating panel with a cement scrim on each side. Stick it up with plasterboard adhesive and spankers, use silicone sealant between edges. Completely waterproofs the wall, provides insulation, the wall is now very flat to tile over. The insulation means the tiles don't get much condensation so absolutely no black mould, bathroom stays toasty. Really easy to put up too.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Is marmox the trade name?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,422
    edited February 2021

pinno said:

I bet that water resistant plasterboard is even pricier than it was 3 years ago.

I'll find out when the bath gets chucked for a walk in shower. But everything seems so far away at the moment.

If you're sticking tiles on it, don't use plasterboard. Use some 20mm marmox board. Its basically an extruded insulating panel with a cement scrim on each side. Stick it up with plasterboard adhesive and spankers, use silicone sealant between edges. Completely waterproofs the wall, provides insulation, the wall is now very flat to tile over. The insulation means the tiles don't get much condensation so absolutely no black mould, bathroom stays toasty. Really easy to put up too.
    Behind the water resistant plasterboard is 50mm Celotex.
    I used natural Travertine and they can be porous in places.
    I treated the tiles with Lithofin. Very easy to apply and makes them waterproof but you cannot guarantee that, so hence the WR pb.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    edited February 2021
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

I would say "who the hell eats batteries", but as a kid, I used to lick the terminals of 9v batteries for the tingles.

It’s a slippery slope hop, one day you’re licking batteries and the next you wake up surrounded left over M&S cream sponge wondering where it all went wrong 😔
    He's gone past that stage Seano, waaay past.
    No way back now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,684
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

He's gone past that stage Seano, waaay past.
    Now way back now.
    Would a waffeur thin mint not work?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Just a wafer thin mint?