Scott Scale 935 Ratchet noise

Hi,
I have a scott scale 935 and i would like to make the ratchet noise more 'clicky' like the higher spec bikes. Is this something I can do without replacing the entire hub? or is it best to replace the whole wheelset? I'd ideally like to do it relatively cheaply. Sorry if this is a basic question, I know a bit about bikes but wheels hubs, freehubs confuse me a bit.

for reference my hubs are:

Hub(front) Formula CL811 / 15x110mm
Hub (rear) Formula CL1248 / Boost 12x148mm

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited February 2021
    You could remove the freehub and get rid of the grease which is free but there will be a long term price to pay when your pawls and/or drive ring teeth wear out prematurely.

Not worth it for a clicky hub imo. Think about a good wheelset (Hope, DT Swiss, etc) as well as a nice sound they would make for an excellent upgrade for lots more reasons.

A good quality pre built wheelset is probably the most cost effective route.

Maybe a custom built wheel to your spec could be viable?

Never done it personally but you could build a wheelset yourself? Either way wheels are one of the best upgrades you can get and worth the investment.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Instead of removing all the grease in the freehub, try replacing it with oil. It will be noisier, but whether it will be noticeable enough I cannot predict.

Or, tape a piece of card to one of the stays so it flaps on the spokes. That used to work when I was a kid. :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you want a more 'clicky' hub?
    There is no practical benefit to a noisy hub apart from warning dawdling pedestrians of your presence.

They do however sound great but a set of Hope wheels for example will set you back about £450. That's a lot of money just to make a 'cool' noise but if you are replacing your wheels anyway then go for it.

Not all high spec bikes have noisy hubs though, and not all cheaper bikes have quiet hubs. The noise a hub makes is not necessarily an indication of quality or price.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009