Crank bolt coming loose

Hi,
I've just installed e thirteen cranks. I greased the bolt as when I upgraded the bottom bracket the old cartridge one was seized in and had to take it my LBS so don't want that to happen again.
I've tried a little thread lock but by the time I had reached the end of my road I could feel it getting loose again.
The are hive cranks if that helps.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,
    I've just installed e thirteen cranks. I greased the bolt as when I upgraded the bottom bracket the old cartridge one was seized in and had to take it my LBS so don't want that to happen again.
    I've tried a little thread lock but by the time I had reached the end of my road I could feel it getting loose again.
    The are hive cranks if that helps.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

New bolts on old cranks can behave like this. I replaced a BB on a Hybrid of mine, and the new bolts kept working loose. With a bit of thread lock and repeatedly having to re torque them, eventually they settled as they got used, but were never 100 percent holding torque. When I replaced the bottom bracket again, the bolts that came with it, held perfectly from the off, and I’ve only had to re torque them once, so I guess the answer is manufacturing tolerance differences in the parts.

• Sorry, should of mentioned I've upgraded from a cartridge BB to cups!
    The bolt is part of the cranks and isnt a removable bolt. So the bolt screws into the axle of the cranks. Hope that makes sense!
  • Anyone any other thoughts? Stronger thread lock maybe?
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    I have never used " Thread Lock " always used paint or usually nail varnish.
    Found it to work very well over the years on British motor bikes and they really could test it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I'm not familiar with e thirteen cranks not having fitted them myself. But, they shouldn't come loose even without threadlock. So from what you said and looking at Google images you have changed from square taper cartridge type cranks and bottom bracket to bearing cups and the cranks have an axle that is fixed to one side and the other crank arm bolts to it.
    Something coming loose that quickly usually means they don't fit together properly or have been fitted incorrectly. The cranks are machined to fit together so it is highly unlikely they don't fit together. Did you buy them new? If so were all the associated parts needed there, sometimes there are lockwashers or other parts needed. Did you follow the assembly instructions?
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it's difficult to day what the problem is with so little information.
    What i would do is take the cranks off and clean all the mating surfaces. Check they fit together well off the bike, no wobble and how har onto the spindle the other crank arm sits. Then assemble them carefully making sure everything goes together in the rigght order. Look at how far the crank arm goes on to the spindle, does it go all the way. Tighten it up as per the instructions, it may not need a lot of torque. How is it then held on. Does the crank bolt hold it on or does it clamp on like the Shimano ones do?