Can anyone identify this freehub

Hello all
my freehub has failed (the ratchet mechanism is non-existent) - I know they can be cleaned but think that would be only a short term fix, so want to replace it.

my problem is, I cannot find a matching freehub body - specifically all those (Shimano) ones I can see have the ‘teeth’, which mesh with the actual hub, flush with the end of the freehub body. On my freehub, those teeth protrude from the freehub body by approx 1/4 (or 1/3) inch. Furthermore, the 11mm freehub bolt seems to be stuck inside the freehub body (it does not come out, even with gentle persuasion of a hammer) - as such I had to remove it from the non-drive side of the axle.

the bike is a Boardman Hybrid Comp/DRC/3XB with a SRAM 18 speed (9x2) drivetrain. Full specs are available here https://thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/hybrid-comp-2014.
However, the hubs are generic unbranded, and there are no markings whatsoever on them. Boardman don’t offer any tech support for my old bike, and without any identifying markings, I can get any manual etc.

Attached a pic of it.

many thanks if anyone can identify what I have, and especially what a suitable replacement would be.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited February 2021
    Well I replaced a gritty freehub very much like yours on an unbranded hub a few years ago. After lots of research I found out it was a cheap, common Formula hub.

Removed mine with the same 11mm size Allen key. Bought this Sram one that looks exactly like yours and mine:-

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/sram-406-freehub-body/

I have to be honest it looked the same as my old one in every way and without being able to confirm any more than visually I took a chance on it and it fitted perfectly.

Hopefully someone can help with a more accurate identification? Failing any better answers this is the best advise I can give so up to you if you want to take a chance like I did. 🤔

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I think Reaper is right that it's a Formula hub used on a lot of Boardman's, did one for a friend but he bought the freehun himself off Ebay.
  • .... After lots of research I found out it was a cheap, common Formula hub.......Hopefully someone can help with a more accurate identification? Failing any better answers this is the best advise I can give so up to you if you want to take a chance like I did. 🤔

I think Reaper is right that it's a Formula hub used on a lot of Boardman's...

Thank you both for your prompt answers - I think you are spot-on with the comparison to the Formula hub. I’ll get the suggested one from SJS. Thanks again.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I pick the seal out of the back of the freehub and lash it with brake cleaner to flush all the grit and old grease out. leave it to soak then blast again.
    If the click comes back pack a little grease into the bearings, refit the seal and see how it goes.
  • Agree with Reaper
    left the forum March 2023