Cervelo S3

Ive currently got a N+1 itch and have my eye on a cervelo s3 di2 2020 for under £4k (apparently over a grand off original list price).

I have a specialized roubaix 2020 comp with roval 38mm rims at the moment, which is cracking, but fancy adding something a bit more aero so what I wanted to know is if anyone has an S3, and what they think of it?

Apparently the 2020 roubaix has some aero credentials, so I wondered if I'd see much difference from the cervelo? Generally do 50-70k rides, mainly of the flat lands around East Anglia.

The full package includes 50mm deep novatec carbon rims, so seems a pretty good deal at the price and the temptation is strong.....

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF has an S3 and its bloody lovely.

Few upgrades though - proper groupset (Red), 80mm Primes, Prime carbon aero 'bars, few other bits.

Pics are on the Readers Bikes or whatever its called part of the forum.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    But £4k? Ouch. That's a shedload more than he paid for his brand new with crppay ultegra 8000.....
  • MattFalle
    Can you not get an S5 for that kinda wedge if you shop around?
  • Cheers MF. It seems S5s tend to kick about from 3 and a half K upwards second hand.

The S3 is brand spanking new, but it's obviously the electric shenanigans that take it up. List price is a full £5300 or there abouts.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    There's been a big shift in prices. Not so long ago, the S5 retailed at around £5k and the S3 around £3k.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle

Cheers MF. It seems S5s tend to kick about from 3 and a half K upwards second hand.

The S3 is brand spanking new, but it's obviously the electric shenanigans that take it up. List price is a full £5300 or there abouts.

No worries dude. I'll pop a longer message across in the morning with my thoughts on it.
  • MattFalle
    This how it used to be - think i have updated pics kickibg around

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13104900/cervelo-s3-its-no-dirk#latest
  • MattFalle
    Ownership update posted on the Readers Rides link.
  • Nice one, cheers Matt, yours certainly looks bang tidy, although I don't know if I'd swap the standard 50 wheels out.

Now I just need to smooth the Mrs over....
  • MattFalle
    Grazie!

Yeah get rid of the 50s. It’s an aero bike for racin’, not a commuter.

Any problems with the Mrs send her my way. I’ll get the suave MF to, ahem, persuade her.
  • Appreciate the offer MF, with her out of the way I'll be free to spend what I like and waste time riding every weekend.
  • MattFalle
    No worries dude - always a pleasure to help.

Any pucs of the bi-cycle?
  • Not 100% on the yellow, I like to be a bit more stealth.....
  • MattFalle
    its in your face, yes.

whats it like in real life? it'll either work perfectly or fail completely.

tbh, they are so cool ypu can get away with the fluoro yellow and it'll annoy clubbies, so its a double win.

you gonna buy it?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

That looks ace, although not a massive fan of Cervelo.
  • MattFalle
    Light is awful outside so grabbed a piccie in the gym which explains the iffy carpet, the sort a clubbie would be proud of.

• MattFalle
    dude

any use re price compared to the one you found? Wheelbase are brilliant to deal with.

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/road-bikes/road-race-bikes-bikes-road/cervelo-s3-disc-ultegra-2020/
  • Nice shout MF, I'd definitely prefer the black, but not in stock in my size.

The same place I saw the di2 has ultegra only for £2.5k in the yellow as well.

di2 version is £3700 but with better rimz.

I could go ultegra and change wheels immediately, so £3k all in, then later on get rid of the ultegra.

Or di2 keep the rimz for a while, if I don't get on with the electronic shifting get it taken off and replaced with summink a bit sexier.

I'm supposed to be paying for my wedding this year, but with the current situation that won't be happening so may as well blow some of it on a new steed.

Still not decided yet though...
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    A mate bought a yellow Tarmac which at first glance looked questionable at best, but yellow is a grower to such an extent that I’d probably purchase yellow over most other colours now.

Oh and a yellow cervelo rocks and if you don’t agree you are not looking at the bike correctly.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu