Bikes for strong riders

Hello,
My sister took up mountain biking a few weeks ago and has had no luck with bikes. The first bike was wrecked as she pushed up a hill breaking the derailer off and snapping the chain. We decided to purchased a better bike and once again the chain broke off. She isn't shifting under power or anything like that. She used to be a weight lifter and her legs are ridiculously strong but I think bikes should be built for it?

Any advice on what to get for a strong rider would be much appreciated?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    No matter how hard you pedal the mech shouldn't snap if its setup correctly. The Hulk wouldn't even snap the mech.
    You pedal and the jockey wheels on the mech turn, along with the cassette, hub and rear wheel.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    Yeah my Sister snaps chains all the time too!

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is your sister two people or did she gain a tattoo and lose one as well.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Ulrika's keeping in good shape these days.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    webboo said:

Is your sister two people or did she gain a tattoo and lose one as well.

The first image is flipped, it says so on the t-shirt. Tattoos match. :)
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Still weird pimping out pics of your alleged 'Sister' on a forum. 🙈🤣😂
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If the bike is set up properly, your sister needs to learn how to change gear. The idea is NOT to shift while under full power. It may be that top end kit can do that under race conditions, but those guys don't have to pay for their own maintenance.

What you should do is to keep pedalling forward (no back pedalling!!) but back off on the power. This requires some minor changes to your shifting technique, but easy to learn. On occasions, she will also need to get her timing right. Change to the correct gear just before you need it, not when you need it (because it's too late then).

I cannot shift under power, I just cannot. It must be psychological but I cannot abuse my kit like that.