Winter Riding Gear

Afternoon all I have after something else to wear on top as just to cold now not sure why, my current kit is below. I am currently looking at MT500 Thermal, Arcteryx Hoody.

Current Kit

MT 500 Jacket, Jersey, Endura Base Layer, Endura Fishnet.
So Far!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I wear a decent thermal base layer (Helly Hanson usually), an old Endura MT500 zip jersey made from a very thin fleece material and a waterproof and that is usually enough. The waterproof is also windproof so is worn whether it is raining or not.
    I find that as long as I can keep my hands, neck and ears warm I'm ok so always wear decent gloves and a snood pulled up over my head when it is cold.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Thanks JBA I thought it would maybe be the base layer that's the issue, so would you go for a Thermal jersey and New base Layer.
    So Far!
  • Long sleeved Base layer, standard MTB jersey and Endura soft shell jacket does me most of the time for top half. If mega cold I have sometimes put on an additional base layer, however I am now favouring a snood to keep neck warm and stop cold air entering jacket.
    Good winter gloves and socks, tights and baggies make up the fashionable outfit.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I only ever need to use three layers up top, long sleeve lightweight Merino or similar, short sleeved thick tee shirt on top of that, then a winter jacket (fleece lining) that is wind proof and has a good DMR coating. All three layers must be breathable and wicking, or you will get cold and wet from the inside.

I use some Endura thermal tights over my padded shorts and under my waterproof past the knee baggies. I wear a pair of short socks underneath my Sealskinz socks, inside my standard Shimano AM41s (or AM42?, the flats anyway). I have always found gloves to be a tricky choice and I often take a spare pair just in case. My current choice is the Sealskinz DragonEye MTB glove. I bought some on the recco of a friend and we were both astonished to discover long after purchase that they are not claimed to be waterproof! They pass the tap test anyway and so far they have not let in any water and they don't make my hands sweat! Be careful in your selection because Sealskinz have a bewildering variety of gloves and socks, often in the same colour patterns and with similar names.

One of the secret weapons in my armoury is a neck tube. Bike magazines often give them away! They keep out the cold air and the rain. In addition when the wind is really cold, they can be unfurled over your face, even your whole head, very much like a Balaclava! I also have an Endura skull cap for when it's really cold. It is not a good look, but given that bike helmets are designed to promote air flow, sub zero air can cause painful brain freeze. The skull cap stops that completely.

Summary:
    Use layers, don't sweat if they aren't breathable and wicking.
    Keep dry, use DMR on outer fabrics. (Durable Water Repellent)
    Use a neck tube.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    I wear thin ski balaclavas from Decathlon, decent Merino base layer, Castelli Thermosuit, divers gloves ( or light ski mitts from Decathlon) and shoe covers ( again from Decathlon). If it’s really cold, I’ll add a fleece ( Northwave and Regatta are great IME ) and a waterproof over the top if it’s raining. It can feel a bit relatively bulky, but as long as I’m not getting cold and wet, I’m happy.