Wahoo Kickr core v Elite Direto XR

Hi. I have a Kickr core on pre order but the delivery date seems changing. My LBS now has the Elite Direto XR in stock. It is more expensive but I am tempted as I am not sure when my ore order will arrive.

I would welcome any views on either turbo. I have read reviews etc and both appear to score well. I can’t find much opinion on comparison though. Other than tech specs. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

Vince

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    They both work just fine I’m sure. Wahoo come from the US, but have a reputation for good support. The Elite is Italian supply. I have a Direto (some 3 years old) and it’s been fine. Works with Zwift, Rouvy, FulGaz, BigRingVR etc etc.. Nice and stable, pretty quiet, but as I use it in the shed it’s not a worry for me.
  • Thanks for your reply. Sound is not too much of an issue for me either. Reviews indicate that the Elite is slightly louder but not too much. I’m sure my fan will add to the volume anyway.
  • I just picked up a direto xr the other day. Just had two rides on it and really like it, so much smoother and a lot quieter than my previous wheel on turbo. Very easy to set up out the box too, you can’t go wrong with it really
  • Given all the import fun and games going on, I'd be inclined to buy what is available now.

I also have a 3 year old Direto, think the X has slightly better specs, I doubt many would be unhappy with it as their first direct drive turbo.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I managed to get a Elite Directo X from Halfords a few weeks ago. Its been faultless. Was looking at Kickr Core but no stock anywhere....... but the wahoo site does have stock at the moment.. you just need to check every few days and strike it lucky

• Thanks for your replies. I think I am going with the Elite as it is in stock. The Kickr core delivery date keeps being put back. Info above really helpful to persuade me to spend a little more.
  • Thanks all. I have now got the Direto XR I have been on Zwift and is working well. I do seem to struggle on hills though so not sure if the settings are out. Went up a 10% hill and was really pushing in my lowest gear. 30/28. When I am out I can do 17% on a 36/30. Is this normal or I have I got something set up wrong?
  • Hi Vince I assume you’ve done a calibration?
  • Hi. Yes. Results were spot on. I have been on again and seemed more realistic so will see how it goes.