Noises from certain gears

I have a direct drive smart trainer and have noticed when riding that certain gears are noisy. No amount of adjustment seems to remedy the problem. I don't have any issues when I re-adjust the mech to ride outside so not sure if this is normal or if I'm missing something?

My noisiest gear is usually the 3rd highest cog in the big ring. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    mark8191 said:

I have a direct drive smart trainer and have noticed when riding that certain gears are noisy. No amount of adjustment seems to remedy the problem. I don't have any issues when I re-adjust the mech to ride outside so not sure if this is normal or if I'm missing something?

My noisiest gear is usually the 3rd highest cog in the big ring. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

There’s none of the ‘natural’ flex in the system on a turbo. That’s what’s causing the issue. It’s nothing to worry about. Nothing on a standard road bike is designed to work optimally on a rigid turbo trainer. You’re also hearing things you won’t hear when riding outside on the roads, because of the environment you’re in on a turbo trainer. The noises are almost certainly there outside as well, you’re just not noticing them as much.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2021

mark8191 said:

Thanks.

There’s none of the ‘natural’ flex in the system on a turbo. That’s what’s causing the issue. It’s nothing to worry about. Nothing on a standard road bike is designed to work optimally on a rigid turbo trainer.
    As usual total b*llocks. There is no noise on my direct drive turbo trainer other than what you would expect and as you don’t have a direct drive turbo how would you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    The spacers are a bit crude on mine. I get the issue with my bike thet has qr's, but not when set up for thru axles.

I figure the drop out spacing isn't quite right.