Chromebook & Zwift

Morning
Just got mr little slowbike a Chromebook to help with his Schoolwork - he's also into Zwifting (yes - he's 5) but Zwift is saying it's not available for his device.
As the processor is pretty good and it's a good display, there's no physical reason why it couldn't run Zwift - but it's not available ...
Anyone got Zwift working on a Chromebook? Or do I need to get WIn10 lite loading on a stick?

Comments

• I looked at getting a chromebook, but somewhere on the zwift site it does say that it will not run on chrome.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    You might stand a chance if your Chromebook can run Android apps, that's probably your only route. Even then play store is likely to say not compatible with your device. If so may be able to sideload the APK but doubt you'd get it to run well if you go down that route.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yer - I can't find anything sensible - its fudge this, fudge that - and to get it to pair you had to use the companion app - doesn't work well with an ANT+ only Garmin speed sensor on his wheel - so I think we'll have to stick to logging in and out on our laptops for now. Bit of a bum as the passwords are complex - so end up having them in a text doc that we can copy paste - hardly secure!
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    My PC is in a different room from where I workout. I ran a long USB cable with a repeater to the other room and then mirror my PC screen using steam or google remote desktop. The cables are about 15 from aliexpress
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I fancied a Chromebook as an alternative to a new laptop but my bit of research quickly determined it's currently a bit flawed or at least lacking the support. It doesn't use the Android Playstore but has its own, which is much smaller/more limited. Its also all about cloud storage which doesn't quite work for me.
  • Maybe you could run zwift on your phone and mirror to a small tv if you have one available? I have an old Apple TV that isn’t compatible with the zwift app so I just mirror my phone/iPad/laptop to that, works great
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yer - but I need Ant+ connection - phone doesn't do that - and as the turbo is outside in a covered area I'm not leaving a TV hooked up out there!
    Nah - he'll just have to use our laptops and we'll have to keep swapping the accounts around - it's no great biggy - but he'd love to use his own if it were possible.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I gave up on Tacx and Rouvy on a Chromebook and some of the others need seperate screen apps which seems a bit of a faff.

Back to the mobile phone for me !
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I gave up on Tacx and Rouvy on a Chromebook and some of the others need seperate screen apps which seems a bit of a faff.

Back to the mobile phone for me !

I can run Tacx app fine on my chromebook but Zwift seems to be a long way off.

More people that realise it would find chrome OS more than sufficient for their needs. But, until the adoption increases in the home user market, the impetus to build the apps isn’t always there.

Microsoft are driving major enterprise apps onto web only platforms so locally installed apps are being marginalised rapidly.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I have a Pixel Book with i5 processor and 8GB RAM, which allows Play Store apps to be installed, so, in theory, enough power/resources to run Zwift. But the app is not available.

I put the Pixel Book into developer mode and downloaded the Zwift APK. It installed and started to load but eventually failed because "there was a missing file".

I've given up.