Need advice fitting Shimano FC-TY501 Crank Set

Bought a Shimano FC-TY501 crank set to replace an older set where the teeth are worn and not working properly. Never replaced one of these before. I'm not well informed or experienced in bike maintenance, but have succeeded with some tricky jobs on my other (road) bike. Searched but couldn't find a video to help me replace this kind of crank set. Could someone please help?

Comments

• By the looks of it, though I'm not sure, I'll need a crank puller. Are they one-size-fits-all? If not, what size crank puller will I need?
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    You'll need a standard square taper crank puller. They vary in price and quality but you can get them for a few pounds on ebay etc and they are good enough for occasional use.

The hardest part will be getting the crank arm to initially start to come away from the spindle if it's been fitted for a long time so some good leverage methods, a hammer and/or brute force will be needed!

This clip of removal has a slightly different crankset and spindle standard to yours but it shows the process in good detail:-

https://youtu.be/cPQyQnNdews
  • Thank you! I remember your name, as you answered one of my queries before!
  • reaperactual
    Ah yes Buddy, I remembered as soon as I saw the link for Amazon.jp! 👍

I believe cotterless is a very old system before cartridge bb's were the norm but that crank puller looks just the thing you need.

Hope that you're still liking the Fabric Line saddle Pal. 😎👌
  • Cheers, I'll get that crank puller, then.

Yes, the saddle is just the job!
  • peter.cheyne
    peter.cheyne Posts: 45
    edited February 2021
    Having trouble. I got the pedals off, then removed the protective nut from the middle of the crankset. Then I placed my brand new square taper crank remover to find that it slid right in instead of screwing in.

Is it a millimeter too narrow? Or are the threads on the crankset worn down (dunno how that could happen)?

Here are photos:

I thought those square taper crank pullers were universal. It fits my new crankset, the one I want to put on the bike when I get the old one off. Both are Shimano.

Any advice from @reaperactual or anyone else? Do I need a different crank puller? Or should I get a three-jaw gear puller and try that way?
  • reaperactual
    edited February 2021
    Hi Peter. Square taper and pullers are universal as you say. The fact that the puller fits into your new crankset does suggest thread wear even then that's a lot of wear if the puller is loose fitting.

No reason for the threads to be stripped unless cross threaded in the past perhaps? Hard to see the thread condition on the pics.

Maybe if the crank arm/spindle interface has got loose and rotated to wear out the thread over time could maybe cause issues but you'd feel that and never heard of it stripping crank arm threads or wearing to that extreme before.🤔
  • peter.cheyne
    edited February 2021
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I can see the threads in the old crank, but I can't get my thumbnail in—I can with the new crankset. The old thread feels smooth, as if worn down. Looks it too. Sorry for the poor photo. No idea how the threads got worn, if that's what they are, but I don't know the bike's history. It was my wife's. I'll ask her if she got it new, two or three decades ago.

Thinking I should buy a three-jaw gear puller. Wary of wasting money, though! At least the puller I bought will be useful in ten or twenty years when I take off the new crankset!
  • reaperactual
    edited February 2021
    Sorry to hear your having problems. Never seen cranks which are decades old so suppose anything can happen after that length of use.

Maybe an Auto shop could help as they usually have various pullers? I'm sure a garage would be happy to help and find a way to get cranks off somehow?
  • peter.cheyne
    edited February 2021
    She must have got the bike between 1997 and 2005.

The bike shop here wouldn't lend me the puller, I don't think, so I'll likely buy that one for about 10 bucks. Hopefully that will get the job done.
  • peter.cheyne
    edited February 2021
    She got it new around 20 years ago, and knows for certain that no-one has removed the crankset nut, so it's a real mystery why the thread is so thin, as if worn. I'll take a better photo in the next few days and see if anyone here can confirm if it's worn or something else.
  • No worries Pal. Hopefully three arm puller will do the job and you'll get some good force applied which should help.

Yeah not heard of your problem before but always struggled to remove square taper cranks that have only been on for 5+ years as they are usually siezed or at least very hard to get off.

The joys of bike maintenance never fail to surprise us now and again! Blame the Wife that's what I do.😬 Good luck Peter.💪👌

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can get different size crank pullers. I have 2 that are different sizes.
    It may be worth you checking on line and see if you can source a larger diameter puller before you start looking at three arm pullers.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • peter.cheyne
    edited February 2021
    JBA said:

You can get different size crank pullers. I have 2 that are different sizes.
    It may be worth you checking on line and see if you can source a larger diameter puller before you start looking at three arm pullers.

Thanks, JBA! I've already ordered that three arm puller! Oh well...

The crank puller I have fits my new, replacement crankset but not the old one; both are Shimano. The crank puller wants to be about a millimeter wider to fit the old crankset. Hopefully I can get old crankset off with the three arm puller without too much trouble.

• reaperactual
    edited February 2021
    I've never heard of two different diameters of outer crank thread section of a puller except some rare or older brands that have their own specific pullers to fit.

I have both ISIS and Square taper crank pullers with different diameter centre sections for square taper or ISIS spindles but mine are both the same 22mm on the crank arm threading section.

I guess 'universal' always has it's exceptions.🤔
  • I've never heard of two different diameters of outer crank thread section of a puller except some rare or older brands that have their own specific pullers to fit.

I have both ISIS and Square taper crank pullers with different diameter centre sections for square taper or ISIS spindles but mine are both the same 22mm on the crank arm threading section.

I guess 'universal' always has it's exceptions.🤔

Yeah, I read that on Sheldon Brown's website. However, my puller slides snugly into the centre of the old crankset rather than threading in, as it does on the new one.

Expecting the three arm puller I ordered to arrive today, so will have a go today or tomorrow.
  • reaperactual
    edited February 2021
    Tbh Peter I wish I'd had one of those three arm puller in my tool collection a few times.

Although my crank pullers were the right ones for the job in hand I failed to get the cranks off a square taper that had only been on for around 6 years. Ended up taking that one to a local garage and they literally grinded the cranks off after trying a few other things.

You may not have any issues whatsoever although if needed be prepared to apply a cringe worthy amount of force to initially get those cranks to break free.
  • Cheers, reaper! I'll be prepared to crank it!