Shimano neutral support for ASO races from 2021?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,576
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Bad luck if your team uses Campagnolo or SRAM ;)

Although how often did the Mavic service car actually help out riders? There usually seems to be a team car on the scene pretty quickly.

The main thing I recall involving the Mavic bikes was Chris Froome rejecting one on Mont Ventoux as they didn't have the pedal system he uses.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    My seem like a little thing but I think it’s a sad day for one of the most long lasting and iconic parts of the Tour. Those yellow cars, and bikes, with huge Mavic logos have been part of the Tour ever since I’ve been watching it (70s).
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917

Bad luck if your team uses Campagnolo or SRAM ;)

Although how often did the Mavic service car actually help out riders? There usually seems to be a team car on the scene pretty quickly.

The main thing I recall involving the Mavic bikes was Chris Froome rejecting one on Mont Ventoux as they didn't have the pedal system he uses.

Isw suspect they help out those in the grupetto a lot seeing as teams only have 2 cars, one of which will potentially be with the breakaway and the other with the team leaders. Once you're behind the second team car you're on your own and reliant on neutral service to get you home, or it's the broom wagon.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    daniel_b said:

Is this an end to the Mavic vehicles?

They went bust (or some version thereof) last year didn't they?

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    They got bought out I am pretty sure.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471

They got bought out I am pretty sure.

They did, some guy who owns a DIY chain and his son who was an ex-pro mountain biker.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    arent they only doing wheels now ?

It's more the advertising they are paying for, im sure the servicing of compag \ SRAM is only a minor issue to them
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    inseine said:

My seem like a little thing but I think it’s a sad day for one of the most long lasting and iconic parts of the Tour. Those yellow cars, and bikes, with huge Mavic logos have been part of the Tour ever since I’ve been watching it (70s).

My thoughts exactly, although it's the 80s for me, but they have ALWAYS been a part of the tour, the motor bikes too :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18