Caught in the middle of frame sizes..

When your caught in the middle of 2 X frame sizes.
... Medium or large.
I'm 5 ft 9...

I've been after a slack, long travel hardtail.. I've seen 3 I love but on frame sizing of each I'm at top end of a medium frame and the start of large frame.

For example...

Medium 5ft 5 to 5ft 9
Large 5ft 9 to 6ft 1

Orange crush
Commencal meta
Nukeproof scout

General geometry for both sizes is there or thereabouts too.

Does it matter which I go for..... I've been back and forth over this for ages...Sometimes I feel I'm overthinking it.

What to do?

MY CUBE
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Depends if you have long or short legs and your perceived riding style.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My understanding was you always go for the smallest frame that you can or is that old school thinking.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Iny mind, you can make a smaller frame fit with longer stems, increased stack height, lots of seatpost out etc

If your frame is too big, then it's too big.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Not sure the advice in this thread necessarily holds as true for mountain bikes as it does for road bikes.

I agree with a road bike, you should size down if in between sizes.

Not sure that holds true these days for MTBs though - people seem to go for longer, bigger bikes with as short a stem as possible.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd get another make with a geometry that fits what I want.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    You cant make a mountain bike fit with a longer stem. You can definitely ruin one though.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited January 2021
    I am convinced that the bike makers all use a different ideal body proportion to design their bikes around. This is why one bike can fit you well, but not another. You can get a dozen men of the same height and their legs (and therefore their trunk) and arms will all be different. So height is not an ideal dimension to use. Which is why we all advise a test ride. But what can you do when you can't do a test ride?

Find the geometry table for each bike and look for the stack and reach dimensions for each bike. I have chosen bikes unridden by comparing these on different brands of bike. I have rejected a Large because it was too short for my long body yet the XL was too tall. Yet on another brand Large bike the reach was perfect, but the stack was too tall. Yet the Medium was the right height but too short. If you have a bike that you know fits you, find out what the reach and stack dimensions are and compare.

There are other dimensions to compare of course, but knowing what reach and stack suit you will leave you better able to make an informed decision.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    For what it's worth I'm 5'10" and was between sizes on a similar Orange Clockwork Evo. I went with a medium and it fit fine with no alterations needed.

Weirdly the 150mm Kore dropper that came fitted was still slightly too high for my 31" leg inseam measurement so replaced it. Worth checking your inseam too when deciding on which size to go for as the dropper fitted on mine caught me out.
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    Some really sound advice here thanks so much I really appreciate all your comments...

I currently have a medium cube ltd race but this is xc bike... The aggressive hardtail im after now is different geometry as you know....

Cheers guys..

MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Hi, I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I'm 5'9 and a bit or 5'10 on a good day.
    Not saying you should by a Specialized but on their website the size chart has been updated so you enter some basic measurements and it then tells you which to buy. Interestingly though if say my height is 5'9 it says medium and if 5'10 tips over to a large.
    I ride both MTB and road bikes and generally I'm told choose the smaller size for road because if too big a road bike is uncomfortable over long distances. Adding a longer stem is not an issue
    For MTB go the bigger size and shorten the stem because keeps your weight back for descents. If you went smaller and added a longer stem you'd be more over the front wheel and more likely to OTB