New project - bike renovation (beginner!)

Hi all.

Ok here it goes.....

I've been riding for just a few months, bought a nice 2nd hand Pinnacle Dolomite that's in great nick. Trained indoors on a new trainer initially, then ventured outside last couple of months - love them both.

No bike background but have managed to do a few things like replace stem, handlebar adjustments, replaced cassette on trainer etc, just very basic.

Anyway, my two teenagers looking to get into it, so have bought a very cheap, very old Trek 1000sl that needs a bit of work. So it's going to be a bit of a project for me as quite fancy getting into some self learned maintenence. Going to be a labour of love (or hate!). Fortunately the boys aren't in a rush, and I certainly won't let them out on it until I'm totally happy and tested it myself.

Shimano tiagra groupset (how to tell exact model?) with Shimao Sora flight deck triple shifters (ST 3304).

Rear gear cable is frayed. Front gears really stiff on the shifter and misses on some of the changes. Brakes seem OK. Going to give the chain and cassette a proper dismantle and clean.

Long term I might buy new cassette and chain and might even strip it down to frame and sand and prime and respray, if I'm brave enough, but need to get it in working order first.

First job is to replace the gear cables and I might as well to the brake cables too for piece of mind. Never done anything like that before!

I'm happy to learn on the job, can see loads of videos etc, but first off how to I tell which gear cables I need, or are any shimano cables suitable?

Is it also worth taking off the front and rear gear derailleur mechs too and giving them a good clean at the same time?

I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions so any help is much appreciated! Hopefully take pictures as I go as a bit of a blog on my project....🤦

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Hello, as you are going to replace the gear cables now is the ideal time to remove the front and rear derailleurs to give them a thorough clean and lubing. Replace the inners with 1.2mm stainless and new outer Shimano SP41 4mm and new cable end ferrules.

You can download the Shimano technical documents for yor bikes components here https://si.shimano.com/#/ you will have to search for the archived pdf documents. Select the by Series box, then Road from the drop down menu, Sora from the next drop down menu, select the 3300 box to see the list of relevant pdf files.

• dj58 said:

Hello, as you are going to replace the gear cables now is the ideal time to remove the front and rear derailleurs to give them a thorough clean and lubing. Replace the inners with 1.2mm stainless and new outer Shimano SP41 4mm and new cable end ferrules.

You can download the Shimano technical documents for yor bikes components here https://si.shimano.com/#/ you will have to search for the archived pdf documents. Select the by Series box, then Road from the drop down menu, Sora from the next drop down menu, select the 3300 box to see the list of relevant pdf files.

Thanks for the info!

Worth regards to gear cables, most things I've seen online come in packs for outer , inner and ferrules? As long as they contain the size and type you mention for each component I'll be good?
  • oxoman said:

For anything your not sure on YouTube is your friend. Loads of easy to follow video tutorials for just about anything. Parktools have a fair few decent ones to follow.

Yeah YouTube has so much stuff, but for questions this looks ideal 👍😉
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    OP Said
    "Worth regards to gear cables, most things I've seen online come in packs for outer , inner and ferrules? As long as they contain the size and type you mention for each component I'll be good?"

Yes, like this https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-road-gear-cable-set-stainless-54000.html other brands are available.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    re brake and gear cables - go to lbs and ask for gear and brake cable inners and outers from the big box box on the shelf.

ask for ferrules and cable ends as well.

Remove all old cables one at a time and cut outers to the same length as the ones you have taken off - you know these are the right length.

Also means you can follow the routing for each cable.

When removing gear cable make sure its in the smallest cog on the cassette and chainring as you need to be able to do this to feed the cable in and out of the shifter.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rickyjohn73ukZY3TuV8i
    edited January 2021
    OK so I've got gear and brake cables on order....

Q1 - currently I've stripped the cassette and chain of for cleaning. Can I fit the gear cables without the cassette&chain on? I.e just make sure the shifters are set to the correct gear (sound like put them in whatever gear for what would be the smallest cogs) and go?

Q2 - looks like the jockey wheels might need replacing they look a bit worn. I can't seem to find the exact model of the tiagra derailleur but few Google searches suggest most shimano jockey wheels would suffice. The ones one the bike are 10 teeth, so I think any 10 teeth shimano ones would suit?. Lots in ebay or one like these - https://www.sprocketandgear.co.uk/products/shimano-jockey-wheels-pulley-set-10t-7-8-speed-ty05?variant=32787551060101&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=gs-2020-03-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB_-RNNWop47hqJyM5NYQMHIltqNGp8yfNDlQkOfimJbWLKm-CKS2cRoC0CwQAvD_BwE
    ?

Thanks all!

Edit, actually they jockey wheels are 11 teeth! So need matching shimano 11 teeth jockey wheels?
  • So now I'm confused as most 11t jockey wheels seem to be compatible with 9 speed+ Shimano gears, so not quite sure how this mech has 11t Shimano jockey wheels on there unless they were replaced incorrectly by a previous owner. So question is should I go with 10t (as per what I'm seeing as compatible for 8 speed Shimano) it with 11t as is on there now (bearing in mind I don't know how well it worked originally as bike not currently in working order). Any thoughts?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Q1 you can fit the cables without chain or cassette on but you wont be able to adjust them. dont attach to the mech or shorten the cables until youre ready to adjust. This avoids attaching and then having to move the cable pinch point and introducing a kink or damaged cable. Kinks in cables affect the shifting.

Q2 fit the jockey wheels appropriate to your drive train speed. i.e. buy some listed as for 8 speed. dont over think it.

• david37 said:

Q1 you can fit the cables without chain or cassette on but you wont be able to adjust them. dont attach to the mech or shorten the cables until youre ready to adjust. This avoids attaching and then having to move the cable pinch point and introducing a kink or damaged cable. Kinks in cables affect the shifting.

Q2 fit the jockey wheels appropriate to your drive train speed. i.e. buy some listed as for 8 speed. dont over think it.

Thanks makes sense 👍
  • Project coming on slowly. I've decided to sand and spray paint the frame, so although new gear and brake cables have arrived, I've taken the front and rear derailleur off, taking photos along the way for reassembly. Need to check exactly how to remove the old brake and gear cables from the shifters but should be straight forward enough. Will be taking the brake calipers off later in week, then bars and seat. The thing I think I'm going to struggle with if the crankset. Attached are photos of it and what I think is 8mm hex. Looking online, some cranksets need special tools to remove, but does v this just need a 8mm hex tool? Any particular side first? Seems very very stiff...