Zwift speed

Most people who question their speed on Zwift seem to think they are faster on Zwift. I’m the opposites. I seem to be considerably slower. I’m using a Tacx neo t2 trainer and in a 10 mile TT today I could only manage a 29 using a TT bike. Even with little racing last year I was considerably faster even when using a std road bike. Has anyone got any ideas on this?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Is your weight correct in zwift?
  • The air is very dense on Watopia...
    left the forum March 2023
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    edited January 2021
    What are you using as a power source? The trainer or a pedal/crank/hub power meter?

If it's the trainer one, it might need a spin down or might be out of calibration. Usually it's not that far out though unless something's gone wrong.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    My weight is correct and the Neo trainer should calibrate it’s self. I don’t have another power meter to compare with.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    You can't calibrate a Neo, they don't need it (they are set at factory).

I would check all your height and weight settings. Get the Tacx app and make sure it's set in that too.
  • What was the winner time?
    What matters is that the pecking order is correct, the actual time is immaterial... in other words, were you beaten by donkeys or not?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Was it a flat race?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    Zwift speed is normally wildly optimistic on the flat. Sure that the event wasnt set up with different parameters? Try just riding.
  • e999sam
    The partic
    pblakeney said:

Was it a flat race?

Yes it was flat. I’m even worse on hilly courses.

• e999sam

What was the winner time?
    What matters is that the pecking order is correct, the actual time is immaterial... in other words, were you beaten by donkeys or not?

I was 4 mins behind the winner in a cat D event and 8 mins behind the fastest time in cat A.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    e999sam said:

The partic

pblakeney said:

Was it a flat race?

Yes it was flat. I’m even worse on hilly courses.

No idea then. Sorry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Power?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited January 2021
    I would look at the Zwift support forum/helpdesk as they will have access to your account to be able to give a more informed assessment.

Certainly I find Zwift wildly optimistic. Their physics engine is logical (roughly agrees with bikecalculator etc.) but they assume perfect tarmac, no headwind, probably nice warm air, perfect drivetrain etc etc etc. On Zwift you can noodle along on the flat at 30-35km/h for hardly any watts, whereas in real life that usually takes a bit of work.