Tyre seating trouble

Hi all
Recently bought a gravel bike and have upgraded the wheelset to hunt 4 seasons gravel x wide.

So bought a set of schwalbe one g 35mm tyres for them.I am using them with tubes but for the life of me they will not seat properly...no matter what I do they just wont sit...always 1 part on the rim where they just will not come out from the centre of the rim after fitting..any ideas how I can get them to sit before I go crazy..

TIA

Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• Inflate the tyres with a CO2 gas cartridge, the more sudden inflation will help shock the tyre into a better position. There’s a slight risk that the tube will go bang, if it traps, but as long as you’re ready for the possibility, it’s not so scary. It’s not unusual for a new tyre to tuck under a bit, but if you inflate to almost top pressure, and work the bead into position with your thumbs, then inflate all the way to top pressure, you should hear the ‘ping’ of the tyre seating properly, then check to see that it is actually in position, before riding off.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Try a nice soapy (water/washing up liquid) brushed round the tyre/inner edge of rim before inflating.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021

Inflate the tyres with a CO2 gas cartridge, the more sudden inflation will help shock the tyre into a better position. There’s a slight risk that the tube will go bang, if it traps, but as long as you’re ready for the possibility, it’s not so scary. It’s not unusual for a new tyre to tuck under a bit, but if you inflate to almost top pressure, and work the bead into position with your thumbs, then inflate all the way to top pressure, you should hear the ‘ping’ of the tyre seating properly, then check to see that it is actually in position, before riding off.

what a load of bollox. again.

ignore completely.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Unfortunately you are experiencing what MF has experienced with a couple of pairs of Hunt wheels which is another reason why he doesn't rate them.

Try the good old fit tyre, leave uninflated then put all your weight on it and roll around on it for a bit. then again with say 10psi and work your way up.

check the rim to see if its damaged.

check the tyre to make sure the Hunt hasn't damaged it.

Overall though, send them back, get your money back then buy something decent.

Soz.
  • dabber said:

Try a nice soapy (water/washing up liquid) brushed round the tyre/inner edge of rim before inflating.

This had crossed my mind tbh....problem would be if I ever get a puncture would be a bumpy ride home lol
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • dabber

dabber said:

This had crossed my mind tbh....problem would be if I ever get a puncture would be a bumpy ride home lol
    Generally they seat better once they've been used a bit.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • MattFalle said:

Unfortunately you are experiencing what MF has experienced with a couple of pairs of Hunt wheels which is another reason why he doesn't rate them.

Try the good old fit tyre, leave uninflated then put all your weight on it and roll around on it for a bit. then again with say 10psi and work your way up.

Soz.

Starting to think it's going to be nowt but bother if this is the case....saying that I have tried the old tyres from the old wheels and they've gone on sweet as a nut....would it be anything to do with the schwalbe one g tyres being a bit tight to fit....can get them on although tight without to much bother??
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Once they are seated and you've rode around a bit they'll most likely seat fine the next time so I wouldn't give up on them just yet. As suggested above, soapy water around tyre bead and inner rim should help. Also don't be afraid to increase the pressure a bit above want you want to use for riding just to help with seating initially (there is no reason to use a CO2 cartridge for this though).
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Soz.

Starting to think it's going to be nowt but bother if this is the case....saying that I have tried the old tyres from the old wheels and they've gone on sweet as a nut....would it be anything to do with the schwalbe one g tyres being a bit tight to fit....can get them on although tight without to much bother??
    tyres shouldn't be a problem at all - they're good solid reliable tyres.

Without sounding awful - if I do I apologise because I don't mean to - its the Hunts. Theres a few threads with this happening to them and a couple of pairs I've had the misfortune to have to work with are exactly like this.

Bin them back, get some Primes for less/same money but better quality.

Soz dude.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Soz.

Without sounding awful - if I do I apologise because I don't mean to - its the Hunts. Theres a few threads with this happening to them and a couple of pairs I've had the misfortune to have to work with are exactly like this.

Soz dude.
    Read a lot of reviews about hunt wheels and were pretty much all good Matt.. which kind of swayed me towards them..nothing about this type of thing but ya live and learn I suppose lol
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2021
    Hunts look nice! they also make a very good basis for a coffee table.

#dontbeahunt

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    oxoman said:

Hunts as already alluded to can be problematic at times. Try the soapy water trick it normally works on tight installs. Personally don't like hunts, Prefer Borgs way better value.

Don't Hunt and Borg both use the same rims, Kinlin ones?
    You do get much better hubs, choice and quality with Borg though.
  • MattFalle said:

Inflate the tyres with a CO2 gas cartridge, the more sudden inflation will help shock the tyre into a better position. There’s a slight risk that the tube will go bang, if it traps, but as long as you’re ready for the possibility, it’s not so scary. It’s not unusual for a new tyre to tuck under a bit, but if you inflate to almost top pressure, and work the bead into position with your thumbs, then inflate all the way to top pressure, you should hear the ‘ping’ of the tyre seating properly, then check to see that it is actually in position, before riding off.

ignore completely.
    For a “load of bollix” is hasn’t half worked well for many years, on most of my bikes. That’s the way I always sort the exact issue the O.P. described. I tend to stick with what works.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    MattFalle said:

Soz.

Now this is a load of bollix that needs to be ignored. Unless you want to trash a perfectly good wheel and tyre, for no good reason.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Soz.

Soz dude.
    Read a lot of reviews about hunt wheels and were pretty much all good Matt.. which kind of swayed me towards them..nothing about this type of thing but ya live and learn I suppose lol
    They are normally great VFM, he’s talking out of his bottom ( again ).
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    i.bhamra said:

Once they are seated and you've rode around a bit they'll most likely seat fine the next time so I wouldn't give up on them just yet. As suggested above, soapy water around tyre bead and inner rim should help. Also don't be afraid to increase the pressure a bit above want you want to use for riding just to help with seating initially (there is no reason to use a CO2 cartridge for this though).

I agree, using CO2 inflators just speeds up the initial seating process.

• MattFalle
    edited January 2021

MattFalle said:

ignore completely.
    For a “load of bollix” is hasn’t half worked well for many years, on most of my bikes. That’s the way I always sort the exact issue the O.P. described. I tend to stick with what works.
    you want to try learning how to work on bikes or at least learning how to buy one that fits you
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Soz.

Soz dude.
    They are normally great VFM, he’s talking out of his bottom ( again ).
    over hyped, over priced, over marketed.

bland rims, Sapim spokes, Novatec hubs. Blandola but top dollar. the clubbies favourite.

#nothankyou,i'llgetsomethingbetter
  • david37
    #getsthepopcornout
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Soz.

Now this is a load of bollix that needs to be ignored. Unless you want to trash a perfectly good wheel and tyre, for no good reason.

MattFalle said:

Soz.

MattFalle said:

Soz.

seriously? seriously? you're mot jumping up and down on it like a great gallah you fool. You're rolling it around to seat it.

And you seriously use a cartridge for every tyre? how big is your bin/cartridge drawer/footprint? What did you do before cartridges? Are you CB in disguise?

#utterlytotallybizarre
    #andtheygivethesepeoplethevote?

• Wee update

The soapy water worked well and they pinged into place when up to pressure...just hoping now if I ever puncture that they seat nicely again after I fix it...will find out in time I'm sure.

Thanks for the help fellas 👍👍
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • dabber
    Glad that worked well for you.

• We set up alot of tyres on kinlin made tubeless rims and we don't find issues with any brands of tyre. If there is a specific issue with hunt wheels (frankly i have no idea if there is) then it maybe on rims which hunt get made for them by kinlin or perhaps a taping issue

Failing to seat is normally something we see with cheaply made rims and cheap tyres. Normally higher pressures work. I haver quite worked out what the cause of the issue is either. I suspect inconsitancies in the bead hook or taping making it hard for the tyre bead to get under hook.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • david37

We set up alot of tyres on kinlin made tubeless rims and we don't find issues with any brands of tyre. If there is a specific issue with hunt wheels (frankly i have no idea if there is) then it maybe on rims which hunt get made for them by kinlin or perhaps a taping issue

Failing to seat is normally something we see with cheaply made rims and cheap tyres. Normally higher pressures work. I haver quite worked out what the cause of the issue is either. I suspect inconsitancies in the bead hook or taping making it hard for the tyre bead to get under hook.

this.

I find that tape can have a big effect on wether tyres seat easily, not enough and the tyre just doesnt inflate and as above too little it is difficult to seat. But as you say, with a high enough pressure the tyre is pushed in place.

• dabber
    david37 said:

We set up alot of tyres on kinlin made tubeless rims and we don't find issues with any brands of tyre. If there is a specific issue with hunt wheels (frankly i have no idea if there is) then it maybe on rims which hunt get made for them by kinlin or perhaps a taping issue

this.

I find that tape can have a big effect on wether tyres seat easily, not enough and the tyre just doesnt inflate and as above too little it is difficult to seat. But as you say, with a high enough pressure the tyre is pushed in place.

However, remember that the OP is using tubes.

• david37
    dabber said:

david37 said:

this.

However, remember that the OP is using tubes.
    He's a wise man then :)