Converting Caadx to 1 x10

I've put a Hope 40t ring on the front, which just fits using the inner ring place on the FSA double crank. Clearance on the chainstay is very tight but it works ok. I forgot to get shorter chainring bolts but these quickly came so that was ok. Ive put a 11-32 cassette on the back and new chain. I just need to fit a 105 5701 gs derailleur to cover the wider cassette range. The existing Tiagra short cage has a max of 30t for the cassette and I don't want any problems. The 5701 derailleur is compatible with my Tiagra 4600 shifter according the shimano compatibility chart.

The 11-32 cassette gives me a good range on my 6 mile each way commute which is pretty flat with no massive hills. With a 40t at the front i'm really pleased with the gearing.

Just thought i'd share my experience for anyone wanting to do the same.
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
2004 Giant TCR

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    5701 will work fine, but new / good condition 10s road gs dérailleurs are getting scarce now. Tiagra 4700 and grx 10s dérailleurs or shifters dont work with 10s ultegra or 105 shifters.
    Incidentally 9s mtb dérailleurs do work fine with 10s road ultegra or 105 shifters.
    You prob know all this already.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've had the 5701 gs derailleur fitted for a few weeks now. No problems at all. Chain has stayed nice and secure with the narrow wide Hope chainring on the front. Gearing about right for my pretty much flat 6 mile each way commute. Has a couple of short and steep hills, and a mile long drag on the way home.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR