Bike cleaning in a tight flat?

2»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    IKEA do a 3 months paid leave for long service. I’m not sure but I think it’s 20 years.
  • lpd2
    lpd2 Posts: 10
    I don't have high bike cleanliness standards, but I do have exactly the same problem as the OP. My solution is to give it a quick rinse with spare water from my bottle somewhere near the end of a ride, about once a week. It doesn't keep it clean but it stops it getting filthy.

Not that I particularly recommend doing this, but I don't recommend living in a tiny flat either.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited January 2021
    navrig2 said:

elbowloh said:

Wife's cousin is in private sector. They get this long leave perk, where if you've been there 10 years, as a special one-off, she gets to take 6 months off, paid!

You make this sound as if everyone who isn't in the public sector gets 6 months off. That's tosh.

I am "private sector" and have been since 1989 and I don't know anyone who gets that "perk". At ten years service I got an extra 5 days added to my 20 day annual leave allowance. Typically my employer was generous.

In my defence, it was in response to this:

david37 said:
    get a job in the public sector, buy house, take 6 weeks off sick a year to ride.

get promoted regularly and take more time off sick to train.

retire at 50 with massive pension

I've worked both public and private and each have their own benefits.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    danx said:

david37 said:

get a job in the public sector, buy house, take 6 weeks off sick a year to ride.

Ah... that old chestnut...

Standard pension age in the NHS is currently 67 with 5% penalty for each year of early retirement. Below inflation pay rises over the last 10 years - certainly well below house inflation even in the poorer part of the country (ie not London area) where I live.

Promotion is either waiting years for someone to retire and compete with your colleagues (which admittedly usually ends up with who has been 'waiting' longest or who the next boss up likes to hang out with most rather than merit) or leaving the public sector if you haven't been there long enough for your CV to be tarnished by it.

Take 6 weeks off sick and you will be performance managed.

Maybe it was true 20 years ago on the generous old final salary pension scheme (retirement age 60). When I first started there was indeed several cases of people getting suddenly promoted 6 months before retiring but that scheme was replaced by a far less generous scheme in 2008 and in 2015 anyone under 45 at the time got forcibly transferred off to another scheme which is worse again (probably still better than most schemes but no longer by enough to justify accepting a lower salary than the same job in the private sector).

Anyway, back on topic:

Velosock or diy similar for carrying through the flat, plastic sheet with drain holes in bottom of the bath for cleaning works for me.
    Except comparable jobs in the private sector have been some what lower paid for some years. Still, you have my sympathy.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    david37 said:

danx said:

david37 said:

Ah... that old chestnut...

Standard pension age in the NHS is currently 67 with 5% penalty for each year of early retirement. Below inflation pay rises over the last 10 years - certainly well below house inflation even in the poorer part of the country (ie not London area) where I live.

Promotion is either waiting years for someone to retire and compete with your colleagues (which admittedly usually ends up with who has been 'waiting' longest or who the next boss up likes to hang out with most rather than merit) or leaving the public sector if you haven't been there long enough for your CV to be tarnished by it.

Take 6 weeks off sick and you will be performance managed.

Maybe it was true 20 years ago on the generous old final salary pension scheme (retirement age 60). When I first started there was indeed several cases of people getting suddenly promoted 6 months before retiring but that scheme was replaced by a far less generous scheme in 2008 and in 2015 anyone under 45 at the time got forcibly transferred off to another scheme which is worse again (probably still better than most schemes but no longer by enough to justify accepting a lower salary than the same job in the private sector).

Anyway, back on topic:

Velosock or diy similar for carrying through the flat, plastic sheet with drain holes in bottom of the bath for cleaning works for me.
    Except comparable jobs in the private sector have been some what lower paid for some years. Still, you have my sympathy.
    He's talking about the NHS! Are you honestly saying that Doctors and nurses (for example) get paid more by the NHS than they do for a private health care company?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk