1 x 11 Conversion or not?

Hi all looking for some advice. I have a Cube Aim SL CMPT Hardtail. It has a 3 by 8 gear set up. The front gears keep jumping on gear change and wedges between the cog and frame. I have tried adjusting the front derailleur on the limit screw to no avail. There is a new chain on the bike. I am thinking of ditching the groupset and converting to a 1 x 11 set up. Any thoughts and how do I know which one

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    Hi. As long as your done trying to fix your issue and made your mind up about changing the first step would be to choose your prefered brand of Shimano, Sram or maybe one of the other less well known brands.

SLX or Sram NX are decent, about equal performance function wise for a 1x11 groupset and wouldn't need to change current freehub.

A New Hollowtech II external bb (or Sram equivalent) and a non Boost two piece crankset for a decent chainline.

If you're replacing the groupset yourself you may need a specific tool or two if you don't have them already.
  • Thanks for the advice. I do have the tools for the job (Some would argue I have no idea how to use them though). I will take a look at the options you suggested and I think I will take the plunge and invest in a new groupset
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    If you have a new chain, did you get a new cassette too? It used to be standard practice to change the cassette at the same time as the chain, although that would depend on the condition of both.
    I would think swapping to a 1x will be pretty expensive, you might find a good mechanic can restore your 3x set up to perfect working order for considerably less than new 1x parts. I am still happy with my 15 year old Boardman hardtail triple set up, they all get plenty of use.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    What davep1 said for cassettes is also true for the rings at the front. As a chain wears its length extends and as it wears it wears the gear teeth. The worse the chain wear, the faster the tooth wear. This wear manifests itself as poor shifting at the rear and chainsuck at the front, among other symptoms. Provided you change the chain before it gets past 0.75% wear, you should be able to get three chains out of a cassette and two cassettes out of the front rings. A fourth chain often will refuse to run on an old cassette (under load). Yet if you replace the third chain it will run as previously. This is because the old chain and old cassette have worn into each other. They are still worn, but they will run, at least for long enough to buy a new cassette.

By all means dump your 3x8 in favour of a 1x11, but do it for the right reasons. If you ignore chain wear as a factor, you will soon be wanting to dump the 1x11 and asking about the benefits of 1x12.

By the way, work out the gear range you have on 3x8 and compare with what you will have on your replacement.
  • Appreciate your feedback. I brought the bike second hand. There was a new cassette and chain on it however the front rings I believe are the original. I will take your comments on board and do some further research.