Anyone thought of doing Deliveroo?

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited January 2021
    Think this article answers your question, apart from the tax bit...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/jan/08/confessions-of-a-deliveroo-rider-get-fit-by-delivering-fast-food

He was only doing it for lolz and a bit of bike fund
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

... could still do it and pay all my tax on it... one has just to see whether it makes sense to work 3 hours and bring home a tenner...

Is there any upfront investment? Do they supply you with the bag and stuff free of charge?

Using your wife's allowance is not even tax avoidance, it is tax evasion. Not advised.
    As for Deliveroo, I gather they give you a bag and access to an app. That's it.
    You do all the work and have to use your own bike. You'd have to be desperate, or looking for pocket money while doing interval training.
    Your wife could sign up then subcontract the work to you, which you do for free, ahem...
    This is very similar to how most self employed business owners operate. Even MPs employ their wives on the staff payroll but they do censored all.
    Bit of a hassle setting up a company, doing books etc, etc for a tenner a day. 😉
    PS - There may be a cut-off but I thought if your wife isn't earning then you can claim an extra tax allowance, but you're probably doing that already. Right?
    Absolutely. Mrs DHL earns less than a few grand a year so no tax, and I get the tax relief on her low earnings.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

... could still do it and pay all my tax on it... one has just to see whether it makes sense to work 3 hours and bring home a tenner...

Is there any upfront investment? Do they supply you with the bag and stuff free of charge?

Using your wife's allowance is not even tax avoidance, it is tax evasion. Not advised.
    As for Deliveroo, I gather they give you a bag and access to an app. That's it.
    You do all the work and have to use your own bike. You'd have to be desperate, or looking for pocket money while doing interval training.
    Your wife could sign up then subcontract the work to you, which you do for free, ahem...
    This is very similar to how most self employed business owners operate. Even MPs employ their wives on the staff payroll but they do censored all.
    Bit of a hassle setting up a company, doing books etc, etc for a tenner a day. 😉
    PS - There may be a cut-off but I thought if your wife isn't earning then you can claim an extra tax allowance, but you're probably doing that already. Right?
    Absolutely. Mrs DHL earns less than a few grand a year so no tax, and I get the tax relief on her low earnings.
    You and I are clearly not earning enough on PAYE. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

webboo said:

Over paying your mortgage is fine but not if it stops you living. Given the current situation it might be more about living for today.

Maybe...
    If I don't do anything, I'll be paying until the age of 69... I'd like to bring it down to 60
    Any elderly relatives?
    Bit unfair to get them out doing the deliveries as well as the wife.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver said:

Think this article answers your question, apart from the tax bit...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/jan/08/confessions-of-a-deliveroo-rider-get-fit-by-delivering-fast-food

He was only doing it for lolz and a bit of bike fund

I didn't think about students... of course they are a big market... wouldn't it be a laugh to deliver a pizza to my own students? :D

Am I weird in NOT thinking it would feel awkward? :o
    left the forum March 2023