New cube to big

My new bike came today it’s a cube attain gtc sl after selling my old attain size 56 I decide to get my new one in a 58 because I always thought my old 56 was a tad on the small size any way after setting it up today and having go up and down road I found my arms were stretched right out and stand over wasn’t much either also the old fashioned if you can see the hub behind the bars when looking down the frames to big method well I can see the hub behind the bars is there anything I can do to make it fit or should I box it back up and get the 56 whilst it’s in stock by the way I’m 5ft11.5 with stumpy 31.5 inseam the cube sizing does put me on a 58 or a 60 wich I can’t understand. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is your saddle in the right place, can you move it forward. The other option might be a shorter stem.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Do you know the length of your stem?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Yes it’s 100mm I’ve put the saddle nearly on max forward it jus feels huge compared to my old cube 56cm. Head tube is massive I think I’m changing it for the 56 the shop said I could package it up and send it back and they’re swap it for the 56 also the stand over is next to none
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    There is 3mm difference in the reach between the 56 and 58 frame, though the top tube is 15mm longer on the 58, plus if they also have fitted a longer stem on the 58, that would account for why you feel over stretched. You would probably have been better staying with the 56 and changed to a longer stem if you felt too cramped.
  • The stems are the same on the 56/58 it’s just that on the 56 I used to have it did nt feel small but looked a bit small probably something to do with being 3 stone overweight 😩 the cube sizing says 58/60 for my height. Are they serious or what
  • Something doesn't sound right, I have the 58cm Attain GTC and I'm 5'10" with ~32" cycling inseam (I buy 30" trouser inseam).

I have a weak lower back history and ride mine with all 30mm of spacers above the 110mm stem in -6 degree position.

The 56cm frame would give you a bit more exposed seat post and the frame reach is 3mm less, the stack is 19mm lower iirc and would put you in a more racey/aero position. Stem might be 100mm on 56cm, my 58cm stem is 110mm.

Currently trying my old Specialized Toupe Gel saddle, pedal top saddle top is ~89cm at bottom dead centre, saddle top to bar tops is 54cm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Just doubled check the stem and it is 110mm the frame just feels big very very high up on front And when doing the hub test I can see the hub behind the bars I’m wondering now if it’s got something to do with the stubby seat that comes with bike it looks like something that would fit a 6 year olds bike
  • Hub position relative to bars isn't regarded as a good fit guide these days IIRC.

Flipping the stem to +ve will shorten the reach by ~7mm and raise the bars ~22mm according to http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

I didn't get on with the supplied seat, I found it very flexy and was uncomfortable outside after ~2 hours.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited January 2021
    Is there a geometry table handy, for us to look at?

Because I'm 5'11" and would find a typical 58 enormous.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Only geometry table is google cube attain gtc geometry guide
  • Ben6899
    Yeh, I can only really comment that I'd find that too big. I think it's worth trying the 56, if the shop has one in.

If it turns out you're in between sizes, you can always put a longer stem on the smaller frame.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Send it back - its too big. You need a 56.

If you have seat all the way forward and need to start flipping stems the set up is going to be awful and it'll never feel right/ride right.

Most likely you 'bars are too wide as well at the mo'.

I'm 6'2 and ride a 58 by the way. If you're 3" shorter than a 56.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks for that I’m sending it back but I can’t understand why people say cubes come in smaller than other brands also the cube sizing puts me on a 58/60 how wrong is that 😂
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'm 6 foot tall with 34" inseam and would never dream of riding something with a top tube longer than 56cm as then it feels like I'm riding a tank.

Sounds like your old Cube just needed a longer stem.
  • Ben6899

Thanks for that I’m sending it back but I can’t understand why people say cubes come in smaller than other brands also the cube sizing puts me on a 58/60 how wrong is that 😂

Yeh it's very wrong. Like the Giant "M" size. I'm a medium bloke and if I was a noob, I might expect the "M" to fit me. Nope. Not unless I want to ride around in the Superman position.

Good luck with the swap, and put photos in the "Your Road Bikes" section!
    Ben

• MattFalle
    edited January 2021
    Ben6899 said:

Yeh, I can only really comment that I'd find that too big. I think it's worth trying the 56, if the shop has one in.

If it turns out you're in between sizes, you can always put a longer stem on the smaller frame.

Exactly as Ben says.

Saddle should be mid way - moving it fore/aft affects b/b placement to knee. Knee should be straight through the middle of the b/b.

Raise/lower saddle as appropriate. Remember copper for sli seatpost or carbon paste for carbon seatpost.

Get longer/shorter stem until it feels right. Borrow or get cheapest possible stems in the bargain bins/ebay until you find the right length then buy a nice on in the sales. You'll probably need to try 100, 110 and 120mm but I'd hazard you'll be 100. Should be comfy, not too stretched out, arms slightly bent when on hoods.

Raise lower stem up and down fork steerer. When you find comfy height get bike shop to hack off excess steerer. its not a difficult job but if you don't do this sort of thing you can get yourself in a tiz.

Measure centre of shoulder to centre of shoulder for 'bar width.

There - bike fit done free of charge.

#simples
  • Just spoke to bike shop very helpful people there sending me a 56 and I’m sending the 58 back thanks for all your advice
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited January 2021
    Still makes no sense to me why this 58cm is supposedly too big, when I've had the same bike for 3.5+ years and I'm not as tall as the OP and my cycling inseam (NOT trouser inseam) is 32" !

Not only that, the saddle (which has same rail length as supplied) is in the middle of the rails, while the stem is in -6 position and sits immediately on top of the conical spacer with all round spacers above it.

My arms aren't long, only ~60cm from shoulder joint to middle of closed fist.

Sounds like seat post is too extended for OP, so they are moving it forward to reduce effective height. 89cm pedal (Time Xpro 10) top to saddle top gives me a generous ~30 degree bend at bottom dead centre to alleviate knee issues brought about by my bow legs.

Cube Attain geometry is very small and very upright, my old Specialized Tricross was a 56cm and my old Felt F5C was a bit small 54cm but with a longer stem fitted. I could have fitted a 56cm Cube, but in 2017 I was still very concerned about the very weak lower back I'd had since 2008.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Not sure all I know is my 56 felt way more comfortable than the 58 I bought on the 58 my seat is maxed out forward and my arms are pretty much locked out when on the hoods perhaps I’ve got short arms as well as legs
  • Ben6899
    edited January 2021
    You have to ride the bike that you're comfortable on - it makes sense that a larger Cube Attain will have you more upright and therefore take some strain off your back.

All other things equal, I think I'd find the 58 way too big. And OP was reporting the same.

In all fairness, it's very difficult to give full advice without seeing someone on the bike, but erring on the side of caution would usually take the rider to the smaller size frame.
    Ben

• MattFalle
    No way does some 5'11 need a 58.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    MattFalle said:

No way does some 5'11 need a 58.

I'm 5'11" and ride a 52s ;)
  • Well it’s all packed away being collected tomorrow the size 56 is being shipped on Monday thanks for everyone’s advice
  • I am looking at an Attain GTC and having a chat in the LBS he recommended a 56, I put my size in the Cybe website and that suggested a 53.
    I am 172cm tall and in seam to floor of 83cm. I have found if a bike is slightly too big I can't get the saddle far enough forward without changing to a zero layback seatpost!
    So will probably have to try both sizes!
  • Also has anyone tried the Cube Attain mudguards?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Also has anyone tried the Cube Attain mudguards?

Nah they were out of stock for over a year and I got a crud racer mk3 instead which is fine.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

I am looking at an Attain GTC and having a chat in the LBS he recommended a 56, I put my size in the Cybe website and that suggested a 53.
    I am 172cm tall and in seam to floor of 83cm. I have found if a bike is slightly too big I can't get the saddle far enough forward without changing to a zero layback seatpost!

5'6" on a 56, can't see it myself.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    flasher said:

I am looking at an Attain GTC and having a chat in the LBS he recommended a 56, I put my size in the Cybe website and that suggested a 53.

5'6" on a 56, can't see it myself.
    Agreed, smaller frame, even with the relatively long inseam, and longer seat post.

• Also has anyone tried the Cube Attain mudguards?

Yes, I have them. They're pretty good and obviously fit well. Only design flaw is the seat stay bridge bit, which can slip a little if you don't get it just right.
  • I am looking at an Attain GTC and having a chat in the LBS he recommended a 56, I put my size in the Cybe website and that suggested a 53.

I'm 5'7", with a short inside leg. I have a size 53 Attain GTC and it fits me well. I certainly wouldn't dream of going bigger.