Getting all the family fit by indoor cycling

Hi there all you knowledgable people :smile:

I'm looking to get the whole family (M46, F43, F15, M12) fit via an indoor "exercise" bike.

I'd like to make it as fun as possible (to keep us engaged!), and so I've been looking at Kinomap, Zwift etc. as something that might work (assuming they do "family accounts"?).

However, I'm really struggling with what to actually by for the "bike part". I can't afford £1k+ for a machine. And similarly, a turbo trainer isn't going to work because I have to cater for a range of height sizes, and we can't be keeping 4 different bikes inside and having to attach them to the trainer depending on who is exercising. Plus maybe having to buy cadence monitors etc. for each bike?

So my question is, what you would recommend that we buy to kick start the family into a "cycle to get fit" plan? (and yes, I know going outside is an option, but I do live in Scotland, and it's hard enough notivating everyone to exercise, nevermind outside in freezing conditions / dark roads etc.)

As I said, I like the idea of using Swift or an "app" so that we can have some "visualisation" of what's being done (so we could all do the same route and see what times we get), although I don't think we'd need any of the "online/on demand" classes, and I'm not particularly fussed about "virtual races".

So .. any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited January 2021
    A worthy aim, but alas I think you might well struggle.

AFAIK your average exercise bike would not work with apps such as RGT, Rouvy, Zwift.

You could look at second hand wattbikes, but even they seem to go for 1.5K - 2K.

Hopefully someone else can give some other option - the Tack and Kickr bikes are all HUGE amounts of cash.

I see why the turbo route is not that practical.

Although if you had space in a garage, you could buy 2 smart trainers for around 1K, and then you could have the option of riding together.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Is it not possible to get by on the smallest bike suitable for the tallest rider and adjust the saddle height for each rider? Not ideal, but workable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    I'd be looking at spin bikes, and see if you can connect a power meter to it, that could be a way to achieve it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    daniel_b said:

I'd be looking at spin bikes, and see if you can connect a power meter to it, that could be a way to achieve it.

God idea. Spin bike, power meter, cadence sensor, good to go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I'd consider a Concept 2. Not quite what you were looking for, I know.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    pblakeney said:

daniel_b said:

God idea. Spin bike, power meter, cadence sensor, good to go.
    I have never looked at spin bikes, but assume they are in the £300+ category.
    Crank power meter unlikely to be an option, but something like Garmin Vector 3 pedals, Assioma, or P1 (I forget the make) pedals, should give both power and cadence, I know at least the Vectors and Assiomas do.
    You could even go single sided to save cash - I suppose the biggest failing is that you would constantly have to be fiddling with the resistance as the software would not be able to adjust it for you - that's the main downside that I can see.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Is there a massive difference in height between you all?

My wife who is 5'8" was able to use my turbo set up with the saddle well down (I'm 6'4"). She was a little stretched out but not too bad when on the tops or with hands back from the hoods.

Seatposts can easily be marked for different heights with little scratches or tape.

• pblakeney
    edited January 2021
    mrb123 said:

My wife who is 5'8" was able to use my turbo set up with the saddle well down (I'm 6'4"). She was a little stretched out but not too bad when on the tops or with hands back from the hoods.

Seatposts can easily be marked for different heights with little scratches or tape.

Scratches. Tape won't last long once dropped.
    Tape for the highest mark will though. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    pblakeney said:

mrb123 said:

Scratches. Tape won't last long once dropped.
    Yes, tape only works for the lowest positon.