Which hub size?

donslow
donslow Posts: 69
edited January 2021 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all,

I’ve recently decided that my rear hub needs a bit of an upgrade

Having settled on buying a hope pro 4, I started shopping about and noticed that they come in 135mm or 142mm

My current hub, IF I have measured it right is 145mm,

I found this link to what I’m sure is the same hub I already have which says 135mm
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/spank-oozy-straight-pull-rear-hub/rp-prod146238

But then this link (hub looks the same and is same colour as my current one) that suggests 142mm
https://ride.io/reviews/spank-oozy-trail-275-wheelset-first-look/

Confused....

Can anyone advise as to what size hope I should be looking at?

Is there a way of measuring or what should I be measuring to be COMPLETELY sure I’m buying the right size hub

I also have a 12mm through axle

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    If you have a 12mm axle, it will either be standard (142x12) or Boost (148x12).

Measure between the dropout faces on the frame, it should come out as either 142mm or 148mm. Alternatively, if you say which frame it is, someone may know.
  • donslow
    Good shout @whyamihere have just double checked the frame spec sheet (not sure why I didn’t think of that before)

142mm it is

Thankyou
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    The 142x12 Pro 4's will come supplied with an end cap conversion kit for 135xqr.

The Spank Oozy's on your link will come with the same kind of end caps allowing to switch between the two dropout standards.

You probably measured the gap accurately at 145ish which will get squeezed to 142mm when you tighten the thru axle during fitting.
  • donslow
    Thankyou gents, advice is greatly appreciated

Have just measured the actual gap on my frame and it’s closer to 146 so what @reaperactual said about squeezing when tightened makes a lot of sense

Will get the hub ordered and work out all the end caps at that point ha ha
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2021
    One more thing to note about the Pro 4 is you should also get a black spacer that fits on the freehub (between the hub and cassette) if it's the Shimano freehub version which is needed in order to fit some MTB cassettes so they tighten fully.

End caps are easy to distinguish, just pop on and off and will take about 30 seconds!👍
  • donslow
    Thankyou again @reaperactual good to know these things, I’m looking at the sram xd freehub as the cassette I have just installed (less than 30 miles so far) is xd so going to stick with that for now,

One thing I do like about the hope hub is that it’s fully interchangeable/customisable so if I did fancy a change of something, it’s easily done
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2021
    I agree they're very versatile and Hope make versions for everything afaik.

A great choice @donslow and if you like a pleasant clicking sound when freewheeling your gonna love your new hub! 👌🤗

https://youtu.be/89V3uCgfuco
  • donslow
    Ha ha it doesn’t sound as loud as some people would claim but from a mobile phone speaker to being out the difference might be more noticeable, not overly fussed about the noise though, just need a higher (than what I have) engagement number and something sturdy

Has been a running joke that I’m going to purposely get a hub that’s louder than my buddy’s halo supadrive, fingers crossed it will be the case ha ha
  • reaperactual
    That clip is a big shameless plug for Hope and probably had a microphone right near the hub.

Don't know if you'll beat your Buddy or not 🤞😄 but you won't be disappointed with your choice. 🤘
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Great choice of hubs.
    Not only do they sound great, they are also very reliable and simple to service.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Clicking hubs are better than a bell!

When approaching walkers or slow movers from behind, just stop pedalling and see them jump.
  • donslow

Clicking hubs are better than a bell!

When approaching walkers or slow movers from behind, just stop pedalling and see them jump.

I tend do this, just coast but pedalling backwards also makes it sound like I’m coming quicker than I actually am