Various mechanicals - stuck gear & semi flat tyre

Got a couple of mechanical issues with the bike to iron out so figured I’d post in one rather than create multiple posts. Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

1) Recently, I have noticed if I pump my tyres up to 100psi, within minutes of riding, the pressure drops to about 80psi and stays around that pressure for the duration of the ride. What could be the reason for the tyre not holding pressure? It’s rated for 120psi and I didn’t used to have this issue. It has a patch repair but no punctures and never fully deflates like I’d expect from a slow puncture. Feels like pedalling through treacle.

2) Gear changing has taken a while to “warm up”, I.e. if I change gear the gear won’t actually change until I reach the end of the road, and then seems to be OK, so I gave the drive train a thorough clean and degrease but today I found the gear would get stuck on the largest sprocket and wouldn’t change up (move to next sprocket). I had to get off the bike and move the derailleur onto the next sprocket. All other gear changes were fine, if a bit slow, so had to avoid the largest sprocket. Because the gear changing is fine for all other gears, I don’t think the derailleur is the issue. My chain and cassette are worn and waiting for new parts to arrive to replace them. Could it simply be that the largest sprocket is too worn? Or something else, such as gears need reindexing or replacement cable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as put a dampener on an otherwise enjoyable ride today.

Comments

• 2. If you're running Shimano pull back the hood on the right lever and check the inner cable for fraying. Twice mine has shifted badly prior to the cable breaking. Alternatively check the bottom bracket cable guide, these can get full of crud and make shifting sluggish.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF was saying he'd change the tube to sort the first problem. Could be a weird valve issue but hey, you can get Lifeline tubes for £1.99 that work perfect so sling one in.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Re the latter - exactly as above plus you may as well change the inner and outer cable and pop the mech off for a damn good scrub clean - take off, drop into ice cream tub full of degreaser, damn good scrub, wash out, flood with WD, dry, apy new gease to spring, re-fit.

Do the same to the chain and cassette as you may as well do the whole shebang while you are there.

Also check hanger alignment as weird things happen when hangers aren't aligned/hanger bolts are loose.

#cleanliness/Godliness
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    what several of the MFs have said.

but to summarise.

change your cables, check your gear hanger is aligned, replace the chain and cassette, replace the tube.

2 Ride, wash repeat
  • MattFalle
    And if that doesn't work, smash it all with a hammer, set fire to it, chuck it in next door's garden and buy Super Record 12, the most magnificent of groupsets - in fact, TDKBOMB of groupsets.

#SR12.Pwwwwwwoooaaarrrr