Building something 1x11 for the road

I'm planning on building up a relatively cheap full carbon commuter bike from parts (some used, some from AliExpress)

I want to go 1x11 with 105 R7020 hydraulic as the base. My commute is basically flat, so will look for the medium cage rear mech and start with the 32t cassette.

What should I be looking at for the crankset? I'll want a ring somewhere in the 40s, preferably wide/narrow to keep the chain on. I'm not snobby about brands, or buying used, but don't really know where to start with regards to making it 1x11.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Anything so long as the bcd matches the ‘ring.

Shed loads of stuff in the sales - MF has used an Apex one on his 1x Boardman for ages and it works perfect - only cost about £30 in the sales and he used the ‘rings on another “normal” bike.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I like your thinking. Sounds like a fun project that'll result in an even more fun commuter.

I've built-up a Cannondale Six13 frame into a 1X10 (40t X 12-30) commuter. It does the job nicely for a 14km commute with couple sustained 7-8% climbs of 3-6mins.

I'm using a narrow-wide chainring in the small ring position on a double crank with a Sram Force shifter and derailleur. Shifting is great and "cross-chaining" doesn't seem to be an issue.

I use most of the 12-30 cassette on most rides and rarely wish I had more. If I lived somewhere more flat, I'd consider a 11-28 or even 11-25 for the closer gear jumps.

Regarding what chainring/cassette combo could work for you - here's a very handy gear ratio calculator - https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If your ride is flat, would not something like 50 chain ring matched with 11/21 or 11/23 be better. I can’t imagine why you would need a 32t sprocket on flat ride unless you had a 60 up front.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF is running something like a 40/32 in the mountains and its fine.

On the flat - yup, as above. 50/25 will cover evetything

#speedy
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I run 50/34 up front on my current ride and generally only use the big ring and middle 6 of the cassette, so I figured 44-46 ish up front for 1x11 would let me run in the smaller cogs.