Shimano XT 3x9 help

I’m overhauling my 2002 Kona Caldera, full strip down and rebuild, replacing anything that is knackered and I want to replace chain, cassette and chainrings (amongst other bits that I’m more clued up on)

I’ve done a lot of research but am struggling to find compatible triple chainrings for my XT triple hollowtech II.

Do they have to be specifically 9 speed compatible or are any of the newer Shimano rings backwards compatible?

I have found a NOS XT large ring for £55. The only middle and small rings I have found are FSA for £20 and £15 respectively. £90 just for 3 rings feels like too much to spend on old tech tbh.

I know a lot of people would suggest converting to 1x10 or 1x11 etc... but I really do use the whole 3x9 range.

I would really appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction as to where to buy what I need or any info on what would be compatible.

Thanks

Comments

• I have just found an SLX triple crankset for £80 listed as being 3x10. Would this work with 9 speed cassette? And XT derailleurs/shifters?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A 3x10 will work fine.