TLI membership

A local club now requests TLI membership to take part in their TT series, which goes from March to September. Reading about it, it seems TLI also offers liability insurance, just like BC and CTC, albeit limited to training and racing and not for commuting to work. All for £ 15 a year, which is a lot less than other memberships... worth it?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I'm in for this conversation. Been looking for an organisation to join as a point of principle in preference to BC.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    edited January 2021
    Sounds like it's a reaction to the CTT levy of £4 per rider in club events. Not sure if TLI charges a levy per rider - if not after 4 rides you are in profit even if you don't use the membership for anything else. I must admit I can see why an organiser might think £4 a ride for a club 10 is a bit much for what is essentially liability insurance for a 20-30 minute bike ride.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • It sounds like a lot
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    I think the last open 10 I did was £10 to enter :neutral:
    That includes the £1 admin fee that they charge (per event) for entering online.

Most clubs around here were already charging £5 for a 10 mile (sometimes shorter) after the last increase.
    £4 levy per ride is a lot for club events when you consider all of the organisation, admin and equipment purchase is done by the the clubs and volunteers.

I've only ever done 1 TLI event as a taster so I don't know how membership works. I seem to recall a surcharge because I wasn't a TLI member?
    You can apparently run a time trial under BC rules too but I've never done one.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Time trialling is a pretty niche sport in the uk albeit a staple of the clubbie summer evening. the CTT costs continue to drive cycling into a non inclusive sport much like BC has done for decades.

When people tell me there are all sorts of people doing it, Doctors Plumbers etc I have to remind them the potential for a plumber to earn 100K a year is pretty high.

When theyre riding around on £10,000 bikes its not an inclusive sport. Yes yes I know that you dont need a 10k bike but the advantages of £500 bike fits, thousand pound trips to a wind tunnel, £100 a month coach, £150 skinsuits, Aero mitts, printed extensions, aero boots are real.

Any organisation that enables accessible grass roots racing is a thumbs up from me and the TLI have been around for ever. i suspect its only the lure of points for many people.
  • I like CTT...
    only sport I can think of where you are competing in the same race as the National Champion... some people were lucky enough to race Wiggins, and Boardman before him.
    In any other cycling races, you are not going against Froome, are you?

I did the all Hill Climb season, racing every weekend, for 7 weeks... I've probably spent 200 pounds between entry fees and petrol... I've made some modest upgrades to the bike, probably spent another 400 pounds there... some of the upgrades were due replacements anyway (tyres, saddle).
    Of course, if you want to be competitive in flat TT, you need to invest in equipment, but with a wise choice of second hand, you can avoid spending thousands... I personally don't bother, because I'm crap at it with or without the aero
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    thistle_ said:

Most clubs around here were already charging £5 for a 10 mile (sometimes shorter) after the last increase.
    £4 levy per ride is a lot for club events when you consider all of the organisation, admin and equipment purchase is done by the the clubs and volunteers.

Just had an email from CTT saying the levy for club events will be held at £3 for this year, "following feedback".

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It was RTTC and BCF when I last raced.