2020 Trek Crockett Review

In Haiku

Regard my Crockett
Substantial tyre clearance. Nice
Takes 650b. Just

In detail:

Full disclosure: I am a long time crockett fan, I've had them for a few years, but recently I added a 2020 model to the stable (to compliment my 2019 SS) and I thought I'd collate a few bits from my experience that you won't necessarily find in one place elsewhere (easily).

The basics at first glance:

It looks like a carbon bike. It's light (carbon bike light) yet made from aluminium. All are in 1x guise, geared for fast punchy climbs and will do 25+ on the road. SRAM setup, hydro or cable on lower models.

Jump onto it and immediately it feels 'racy' - keen and responsive, and Treks isospeed fork thing really seems to work in taking the buzz out of things. SRAM - once you are used to it - is great in this application.

Leap off and Shoulder and the top tube is shaped for comfort, and the bottle cages are well positioned.

Geo is racy but its not uncomfortable.

After a long time with the bike(s):

Its definitely become one of my most used bikes, its a swiss army knife.

Add a 650b wheelset (it will take 650b and 47's, even though Trek says it wont) and you have a really capable singletrack machine

Add some 42's to the 650b's or 38's to the 700's and you have a gravel bike

Slap your CX tubs on and you have a race winning capable bike

Stick a set of slicks on - and some mudguards (the Bontrager NCS with the hidden eyelet fitting kit work a treat) and you have a go-anywhere winter bike or bikepacking bike.

I have replaced my hardtail and my winter bike now with the crockett.

I'm pushed to say this - but if I could only have one bike, this would be it.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Nice.

I've got a 2019 that I run singlespeed, probably do more miles on that than anything apart from the commuter.
    I've been looking for another frame to transfer parts from the commuter on to but there's none of the earlier Crockett framesets about so I might have to go for a 2021instead.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    crossed said:

Nice.

I've got a 2019 that I run singlespeed, probably do more miles on that than anything apart from the commuter.
    I've been looking for another frame to transfer parts from the commuter on to but there's none of the earlier Crockett framesets about so I might have to go for a 2021instead.

I too have a singlespeed crockett as well, 2019 frame - love it. Worth keeping a beady eye on eBay! I've ridden it more this year than anything else.
    Insert bike here:
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    mpatts said:

crossed said:

Nice.

I too have a singlespeed crockett as well, 2019 frame - love it. Worth keeping a beady eye on eBay! I've ridden it more this year than anything else.
    I've got an alert set up on ebay for them but the phrase "hen's back teeth" comes to mind!