Trail v enduro II Fox 34 v 36 and Pike v Lyrik

Ey up people.
So im looking for a new mtb. I enjoy riding in the peak district, covering distance and hitting some pretty harsh terrain when i come across it. However, im not into big jumps and drops. Im 220 pounds and 6ft 4. Because of my weight Would you recommend a trail or enduro bike? I love the toughness and comfyness of enduro bikes, but then i feel climbing is going to be abit of a ball ache.... Literally. On the other hand, i like trail bikes because of their lightness, and climbing ability, BUT they generally come with lighter less durable components and lighter fox 34 or RS pike forks.... Which comes on tobmy 2nd point. Because of my weight, will a trail bike be too weak for the peak district and the rough terrain? , and that's the same for the forks, will the 34's and pikes be more flimsy?

Out of the two bikes, i think id prefer the enduro style bikes, but i dont want to shoot myself in the foot and be "over biked" and be fuming with myself on the climbs, amd i dont want to look a nob rocking up with an enduro bike but not hitting the jumps haha.

Any advice would be grand.

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Lets start with you're not that heavy. Either enduro or trail bike will be plenty tough enough.
    Terrain wise. The peaks is full of rocks, steep tech climbs and wheel swallowing holes and trenches.
    Bottom bracket height, rock strike protection and climbing position will probably be of more benefit.
    Its very hard to notice spindly forks when there are no corners !

if you plan on doing more trail centres ie bpw i would tend towards the enduro.
    In all cases i'd prefer a better fork damper than a larger fork chassis if prices are similar.
  • mully79 said:

Lets start with you're not that heavy. Either enduro or trail bike will be plenty tough enough.
    Terrain wise. The peaks is full of rocks, steep tech climbs and wheel swallowing holes and trenches.
    Bottom bracket height, rock strike protection and climbing position will probably be of more benefit.
    Its very hard to notice spindly forks when there are no corners !

if you plan on doing more trail centres ie bpw i would tend towards the enduro.
    In all cases i'd prefer a better fork damper than a larger fork chassis if prices are similar.

Thank you for the advice and info. Its much appreciated. Would a trail bike cope with rocks, holes and trenches? Mybheart is saying an enduro bike but i dont want to be over biked, and look like abit of a nob showing up with a 160mm travel bike but not hitting tge big drops and jumps if that makes sense? Iv been looking at trail bikes such as the orbea occam h30 and the nukeproof reactor. But i do love the bigger trail/enduro bikes such as the whyte T160 and the Trek Slash.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I had a Whyte T130 with a Pike RCT3 fork, 130mm travel, and I went all over the Peak District with it. I also had a YT Capra with the same Pike RCT3 fork, but with 160mm travel. The shorter travel fork was stiffer and felt more secure. Because the front end didn't dive as much when nosing over a drop, the geometry was less disturbed and the bike felt more stable. But there was little doubt that the Capra was comfier. To reduce the diving of the Capra fork, I tried various combinations of increasing the low speed compression and adding tokens to the air side. That did the job, but the bike was then less forgiving when traversing the rough stuff. I never really found a good fork setting on the Capra before I sold it.