Bedding-in new disc pads - multiple wheelsets

Hi. Happy Christmas / New Year.

I thought I got the whole bedding-in new pads/rotors thing. However at the moment, with the weather being what it is, some days I am running a front wheel dedicated to an ice tyre.

So say I have bedded my new pads with my "regular" wheel, what about my ice tyre wheel? Surely you can't have multiple rotors bedded to the same pads, can you?

It's making my brain ache a bit.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The only issues Ive had doing similar (dynowheel / non dynowheel ) is a bit of pad rub because the rotors aren’t in precisely the same position.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Hi. Happy Christmas / New Year.

I thought I got the whole bedding-in new pads/rotors thing. However at the moment, with the weather being what it is, some days I am running a front wheel dedicated to an ice tyre.

So say I have bedded my new pads with my "regular" wheel, what about my ice tyre wheel? Surely you can't have multiple rotors bedded to the same pads, can you?

It's making my brain ache a bit.

Your brain is hurting because you are over thinking things. " Bedding in " just makes your pads and discs like each other. You are not making the pad conform to the contours of the disc. In practice both discs are flat enough.
    I often swop wheels without a problem.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited December 2020
    The purpose of bedding the brakes in is to transfer a very small amount of pad material to the rotors. this ensures smoother and more powerful braking.

you can have several sets of wheels with ready to go rotors. or indeed, have a spare pair of discs ready bedded in and take with you as spares on your holiday in case of accident.

but each different wheel may have small physical differences and require you to adjust the calliper to avoid rub. depending on your level of technical skill, aptitude or interest this may be something you can entertain.

obv this isnt an issue with rim brakes. if they need adjusting either one or more of your rims is seriously out of dish or you can just make simple quick adjustments on the calliper.