Are MTB shifters compatible with SRAM Force 10sp rear mech?

Hi

I have an old Boardman on a turbo trainer and recently broke my rear shifter. I don’t want to buy a new SRAM force shifter as I don’t need to be able to brake so seems a waste. As sram and shimano are compatible, could I use a cheaper Deore shifter possibly? Or can you think of an alternative cheap solution? Begrudge spending too much on this as would rather spend it on my main bike.

Thanks

Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
Charge Mixer

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2020
    You could use an 11 speed SRAM flat bar type trigger shifter if you can find a suitable place to mount it. Something like this

Available from Plant X for £15

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/GLSRS700/sram-s-700-flat-bar-road-trigger-shifter

The flat bar SRAM shifters are compatible with road rear mechs so you should be OK

Sorry - just realised you are after 10 speed so have a look at the SRAM X5 10 speed rear flat bar shifter

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-x5-10sp-trigger-rear-shifter?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=288892&kpid=288892&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|slOD4wxeI_dc|mcrid|295292317327|mkw||mmt||mrd|288892uk|mslid||&mkwid=slOD4wxeI_dc&pcrid=295292317327&prd=288892uk&pgrid=58852352866&ptaid=pla-586298648157&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2LARtxGvtBTkK4XB9yM0bGVKqUtJKJlD2E-G5nhWHbdQf3argWtV9J0aAhpVEALw_wcB

Bit more pricey at £21
  • That looks spot on - thanks 😊
    Charge Mixer
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    You can't use Shimano shifters with SRAM mechs and vice versa unfotunately: SRAM is direct actuation (1:1), Shimano is different cable pull (MF thinks 1:2 or something)

SRAM is better like this because it means that you can use different speed shifters with any mech, so if you stumble upon, say, an 11 speed for a good price on the Bay it will work. 9 speed as well.

Alternatively, why don't you just look lower down the range - Rival or whatever its called below that?

Running an mtb shifter is going to get tedious after a while.

Another option is clip on aero bars with TT shifters.

#options
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2020
    Or whatever the cheapest Shimano mech you can get - whats a Sora nowadays? £20? and the cheapest shifter as well.

Or MicroShift, or a whole Sensah Empire groupset is dirt cheap - as in about £80 for everything and perfect for a turbo bike and reputed to be alright.

#moreoptions
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks. Ordered the SRAM X5 as is cheap and I use the turbo at most a couple of times a week...if I have to. Just to get my points in for Vitality :smile: I try and get out on my Roubaix in all weathers except ice so don’t mind the MTB being a bit fiddly. Luckily my turbo trainer increases the resistance the faster I pedal so the gear shifting is not critical.
    Charge Mixer