Help suggestions a new helmet please?

Even everyone and I hope you are all having a good Xmas :)

I was wondering if someone can give some advise on a new road cycle helmet?

What do you recommend and what do you guys currently wear?

I have a Planet X one at the moment but it’s not very secure and the chin straps are bobbins ! So looking to replace it and spend some of my Xmas gift money :)

Thank you in advance for your help

Matt

Comments

• Helmets are a very personal thing as what fits me and is comfortable may be horrid for you so once restrictions are lifted I would suggest trying a few on to see what works for you.
    Saying that I have tried a few brands (Giro, specialized, lazer) and found the the Kask Protone was the most comfortable and least mushroomy for me, just replaced mine with another Protone as my last one was damaged after an accident, so I can attest to how affective they are too. Thinking of buying another for my gravel bike actually so will be looking at the Abus range once I can too.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF has an Uvex aero thing that is v comfy and was a v good price but, being an aero job, does run quite hot.

Not mushroomy but you do have to pick your sunnies carefully.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Just like everything in cycling, people will spout about personal choice blah blah, when you're looking for some general recommendations.

I have had great success with Bell helmets, and Kask. I'm going to up date to a new Kask model in the new year.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Kask Protone works for me. Been around a few years now but still worn by plenty of pros. The newer Valegro model is a bit lighter but the reviews are a bit more mixed.
  • matt71
    matt71 Posts: 27
    Thank you all for your help so far 👍 I really appreciate it :)
  • The PX TT helmet is hard to beat for £40... Aero and keeps the head plus ears warm in wintery weather. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123 said:

....... *snip* The newer Valegro model is a bit lighter but the reviews are a bit more mixed.

Bought one a couple of months ago. The negative comments about sweat running into eyes has been countered by the addition of a small pad where previously there was none, but the pressure from two points at the front can still be felt on longer rides. Light, very well ventilated but I find it tricky to fit my shades into the front vents.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Uvex and Giro fit my head well, Kask not so well, much like saddles get the one that fits you the best.
  • It depends what your budget is as well. Personally, I’ve got a few different lids. A Kask Protone, a Kask utopia ( which is a super light aero lid ) and a Casco Warp sprint. I’m thinking of getting a Hodving 3.0 airbag lid, as they good reviews.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020

I’m thinking of getting a Hodving 3.0 airbag lid, as they good reviews.

No you’re not. You’re making this tripe up as you go along.

#delusional

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

It depends what your budget is as well. Personally, I’ve got a few different lids. A Kask Protone, a Kask utopia ( which is a super light aero lid ) and a Casco Warp sprint. I’m thinking of getting a Hodving 3.0 airbag lid, as they good reviews.

What are you hoping to protect? 😁
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The ads on bike radar have been telling me to buy some weird "media"helmet for days.

I used to have kask mojitos, but then every fecker was wearing them. So when I got a replacement I switched to something else. I chose mavic askium elites. I somehow ended up with 2, 1 white and 1 black. They look good and relatively cheap. Head protection-wise I think most helmets are the same.

My other main criteria was to not look like a mushroom head (I think a lot of the giros do this) as I fecking hate mushrooms. They're the route of all evil.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • If one of the factors you're considering is how good the helmet is at protecting your head, it'd be worth checking out this site, I think it's the only independent helmet testing out there:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

I did crash once at 35mph whilst wearing a Planet X helmet and whilst it broke into 3 pieces it did protect me well and I didn't have any concussion.

As I needed to replace it and I was still shaken up by the incident i bought a Bontrager Ballista as it reviewed well and came out well in the testing. It's a good aero helmet but most importantly, doesn't get too hot.

However, I accept that a helmet will only ever be able to do so much.
  • MattFalle
    People on here have said before the P/X ones are good so may be worth a look if they float your boat.
  • MattFalle said:

People on here have said before the P/X ones are good so may be worth a look if they float your boat.

The Planet X one I had was exactly the same shell as the old Specialized Evade and was really good. The retention system was cheaper and not as slick but considering I paid £15 and not £100 I was happy enough with it:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECANOTEVO/carnac-notus-evo-road-helmet
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Head shape plays a major part - Giro have never fitted me, nor MET - much to my frustration.

I would heartily recommend both Lazer and Scott helmets - the former can often be found on offer, and have a fairly low profile on your bonce, the Scott offerings are top quality, and occasionally pop up on offer.

If you are ordering online, I'd choose somewhere that has a decent variety, an also where returns are easy to send back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • matt71
    Cheer for all your replies :)

Hopefully a local
    Shop will
    Let me try some on, however not too sure as Lancashire is in tier 4 now 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • MattFalle
    Remember that if you try on in a shop you buy from the shop - v v v v bad form to try on then order online.

#karma
  • matt71
    MattFalle said:

Remember that if you try on in a shop you buy from the shop - v v v v bad form to try on then order online.

#karma

Never done that and most shops will Price match anyway :)

I actually normally buy from local stores rather than big companies ( like Evans).

Thankfully all cycle shops are allowed to be open so will
    Have a nosey at one or two over weekend
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    save the money, ride without one.
  • It's all about fit. I quite liked my Kask ones, put up with my Giro Aether.

Now, I have a Specialized Evade MIPS (with Angi). Ridiculously comfortable but also silly expensive.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.